What's new

It's Official! Eddie Murphy to host The Oscars (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, Eddie asked....and he got picked!

Personally, I think anything is a step up from what has been
hosting The Oscars for the past few years -- particularly the

mess last year.

Still, I wish they would bring back Billy Crystal. His appearance

last year on the show was a stark reminder of how good the

ceremonies once were. Perhaps in 2013, as apparently, Billy

has been expressing interest in hosting again.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think this has disaster written all over it. If it was 1988 it would of been interesting, but Eddie now is very different from the Eddie I used to like.

They might just top last year for worst Oscars ever. Sad thing is, I'll watch regardless. I haven't missed it in decades. :S

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Eddie Murphy was a stand-up about 2 or 3 decades ago so hopefully, he still can punch up his material and be quick on his toes. Last year, they had two people host who weren't stand-ups and everyone blamed them when the writers gave them lousy jokes. Maybe if the old mummies at the Academy stopped worrying about appealing to kids (who are never going to watch the Oscars anyway) with hip and young hosts telling an old man's idea of hip and young jokes, they'd have a better show.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think this could be really good. WILL it be really good? Dunno, but I certainly think it has potential - it's the most interesting Oscar host idea I've heard in years...

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to this. It'll be interesting to see Murphy take the stage like this. He hasn't done anything like it since he hosted the Video Music Awards back in the 80s. Of course, that was over a quarter-of-a-century ago, and mores have changed since then. I think it'll be interesting, though. Maybe he'll bring in some new writers as well. I'd like to see Bruce Vilanch and crew "stir it up" with some different writers. Sincerely, John Kilduff... One can only wonder if he'll wear a colorful suit like he did in "Delirious" and "Raw".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very interesting. This either means the Academy has forgiven Murphy for his 1988 comments during the show (about Hollywood recognizing black actors) or they needed him that badly in the wake of falling ratings. (FWIW, I'm not saying Murphy was wrong in '88, nor am I implying the Academy was wrong to be miffed.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Brett Ratner and Eddie Murphy are both out. I guess the Oscars will be regular awful instead if interesting awful.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Well Bret went bonkers on every talk show he appeared on and horribly embarrassed himself so he left or got fired. Eddie followed him off the show.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/09/8720956-eddie-murphy-out-as-oscars-host

There's a campaign to get the Muppets on as hosts. It would be great but stuffy old Hollywood would never go for it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Just last week I read Murphy's Rolling Stone interview where they talk about having to be politically correct. I say just cut the crap, make it an hour show and give out to top 5 or 6 awards.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It wouldn't be as much fun if it was only an hour. Enduring the show for hour upon hour is part of the experience

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks