What's new

Its October! Playoff predictions? (1 Viewer)

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Its finally time for the playoffs to finish off possibly the best baseball season of all time. Who do you think is gonna win it all?
American League:
NY vs Oakland:
New York is an amazing playoff team (and they really have something to play for after Sept 11) but I don't think they can beat the A's. Oakland just seems TOO good to be beaten by anybody. They had a better second half record than anybody. Oakland in 5.
Cleveland vs. Seattle:
Cleveland probably has the best offense in the AL, but their pitching is just pathetic. Colon has been underachieving and Finley is getting too old. I heard they might stick to a 3 man rotation, which would make it interesting to see how C.C. handles only a few days rest this late in the season. Seattle won 116 games for a reason. They are a great baseball team. Seattle in 4.
Seattle vs. Oakland:
This is going to be the true World Series matchup. Whoever wins here will take it all. I expect a 7 game battle, giving the edge to Oakland. (They did sweep Seattle near the end of the season). Oakland in 7.
National League:
St Louis vs. Arizona:
I am a huge Cardinals fan and really dreaded having to face Arizona in a 5 game series. They are going to face the two best pitchers in the MLB 3 times out of 5 games. But St Louis was also a great second half team with a very solid pitching rotation. St Louis in 5.
Houston vs. Atlanta:
Atlanta has also been underachieving for a big part of the year, but they are still an excellent team. The Astros are slumping, and will miss Oswalt in the first series (maybe game 4?). Atlanta in 4.
St Louis vs. Atlanta:
Ok, I can dream can't I? Cardinals in 5.
World Series:
St Louis vs. Oakland:
Oakland is the best team in baseball. Oakland in 5.
Sorry for the long post. Let me know what you think...post your predictions!
------------------
My DVD's

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I can't find a previous thread where I had predicted the teams that would make the playoffs. I believe I batted 1.000 on it. :) Anyhow, here goes:
American League:
NY Yankees vs Oakland A's:
Oakland is really hot right now. The trio of Mulder, Zito and Hudson are very formidable, especially for a relatively weak hitting NY team. However, I think the Yanks will show their perennial post season skills but it won't be enough this time. Oakland wins, 3-1.
Cleveland Indians vs. Seattle Mariners:
Right. Hard to call this one, even with the M's 4 bajillion wins this season. What will tell the tale is Cleveland's bullpen. The M's offense will be able to keep up with the Indians. 2 games will come down to the bullpen, with Sasaki showing his early-season form. Seattle wins, 3-2.
Seattle Mariners vs. Oakland A's:
Looks like the two best teams in the AL meet again; Oakland wins the first game with the M's winning the rest. Seattle wins, 4-1.
National League:
St.Louis Cardinals vs. Arizona Diamondbacks:
quote: I am a huge Cardinals fan and really dreaded having to face Arizona in a 5 game series. They are going to face the two best pitchers in the MLB 3 times out of 5 games.[/quote]
My sentiments exactly. I'm trying to get tickets for the friday NLDS game. Oh, predictions. Right. STL takes one of the games in Arizona, ARI gets one in STL in an offensive explosion. STL pulls it off with their bullpen actually coming through in the clutch for once. St.Louis wins, 3-2.
Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves:
Houston has the best offense in the NL. Atlanta potentially has the best pitching staff in the NL. Potential only gets 'em so far. Houston wins in Houston and picks up one in Atlanta, winning 3-1.
St Louis Cardinals vs. Houston Astros:
Offensive explosion. One of these games will have 20+ runs scored; St.Louis pulls off a squeaker in Houston, winning 4-3.
World Series:
St.Louis Cardinals vs. Seattle Mariners:
As much as I hate to say it, SEA takes care of STL in 6.
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001
[Edited last by John Thomas on October 09, 2001 at 04:33 AM]

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Okay, I'll bite :)
ALDS:
Oakland vs. NY -- 5 games, 3-2 Yanks
Cleveland vs. Seattle -- 4 games, 3-1 Seattle
ALCS:
NY vs. Seattle -- 6 games, 4-2 Seattle
NLDS:
St. Louis vs. Arizona -- 5 games, 3-2 STL
Houston vs. Atlanta -- 4 games, 3-1 Atlanta
NLCS:
St. Louis vs. Atlanta -- 6 games, 4-2 Atlanta
World Series:
Atlanta vs. Seattle -- 5 games, 4-1 Seattle
Yes, despite my love for the Yanks, I honestly don't see them beating Seattle this time, not when they lost all of their season series to them. But I'm confident they'll beat the A's.
Hrm...why is my mind telling me the championship series for each league is only 5 games??
[Edited last by Dana Fillhart on October 09, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Cardinals.
Nuff said.
Score of Final World series game:
250 to 6, Cardinals!
I sound like a superfan :)
Nathan
Da Cardinals
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Go Tribe!
4-0 in the eighth, choke on it Seattle!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...choke on it Seattle!
Cleveland should know.
wink.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Well, the game of the day was the D-Backs vs. the Cards. It's such a pleasure to watch a well pitched ball game, on both sides. It was like baseball was rewound ten years in that game.
Schilling is a joy to watch, always has been. Funny since, if I'm not mistaken, his last post season start was a masterful 5 hit shutout in game 5 of the '93 World Series.
------------------
Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12 11 to go!

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Yah, awesome pitching on both sides..
Both teams offense sucked... it's just the Cardinal's offense sucked more..
Nathan
Um, Er, No... It's not a Bedroom Theater, I just love my HT so much, I sleep in it.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
It's good to see all of the Cards fans here. I'm originally from central Illinois and have been a Cards fan my whole life. I'm hoping to see another World Series run this year. They definitely have the talent but Arizona is a tough opponent. Unfortunately I think that LaRussa is gonna have to sit McGwire for them to have a chance. He's killing them. All he does is strike out. At this point I'd rather see Paquette in the lineup.
I'm not gonna make any predictions but I'm hoping for an A's vs. Cards World Series. These were the 2 best teams in the second half of the season and I'm looking for it to continue. Go Cards!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The M's will win the next 3. Then they'll either go 4-1 against the Yankees or 4-3 against the A's.
Then they'll sweep the Diamondbacks in the Series (I hope so because I have tickets for game 4!)
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Point: A's take first game of division series against Yanks.
Counterpoint: The Yanks have won the last FOUR division series AFTER losing the first game of the series.
Go Yanks!
------------------

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Dana glad to see you made it home ok.
Point well taken, for me the Yanks aren't dead until it's over.
I'm looking for a Braves vs Oakland WS with Oakland winning it all.
------------------

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Dana,
As I said at the farewell dinner, hold that thought. :)
Rob
P.S.: I hope the cuts at CSFB that I've been reading about haven't hit you.
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My purely partisan picks. :)
(I posted this on 10-7-01 on another forum)
Arizona over St. Louis 3-2
Atlanta over Houston 3-1
Atlanta over Arizona 4-3
Seattle over Cleveland 3-1
New York over Oakland 3-2
Seattle over New York 4-2
Atlanta over Seattle 4-3
(Okay, I admit I'm dreaming)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, after ten years of being one of the favorites to win the WS and only winning one it really would be a strange twist of fate if this year, of all those years, the Braves won it all.
------------------

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Ugh...
Yankees lost again to the A's...looks very dim right now. Only 5 teams have come back from a 2-0 deficit to win a five-game postseason series...and NONE of them were teams who lost those first 2 at home.
Looks like the Yanks have to make history if they want to face the M's.
*Sigh*...for what it's worth...
Go Yanks!
------------------

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Well, the Yankees are in deep.
eek.gif

Seattle looked like, um, Seattle today.
Can't ever count out the Yankees, and certainly not the Indians, but that awesome A's/M's matchup came two steps closer today.
Some NL team is gonna have their hands full if it comes to pass, that's for sure.
------------------
Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12, 11 10 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks