What's new

IT's Back: HSU Pre-Order Savings! Up to $250! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Arthur
When I was just getting into HT I wasn't happy with a couple of subs I had purchased. Poking around the forums I saw HSU and SVS in many equipment profiles of the forum goers.
I had reviewed SVS site and the HSU site. At the time I was far from comfortable making a purchase without a demo. I turned to the forums; here, the spot and avs to ask for assistance on these subs. Through a banner advertisement I visited the HSU site and being newbie I guess I crossed the line asking about SVS on "their" forum. With the negativity projected by several forum members taken back I went else where.
As the decision grew closer, HSU slipped lower on the list simply based on my experience on their forum. The Klipsch RSW10 won out simply because I was able to demo it at a store and was within my budget.
After tweaking and tweaking I still was not satisfied with the overall performance. This is when I revisited SVS. After sending an email to SVS, a guy name Tom replied with a series of recommendations and instructions to see if there was a way to improve the RSW10's performance.
By this time HSU had fallen off the list of subs I was considering.
You are absolutely correct at least they have a forum. But because of their forum I have never made a purchase from HSU.
Once in a while I visit the website to see if there is anything new.
With HSU introducing a new subwoofer I find it interesting that it isn't all over there website or on their product page.

Thanks for asking
scott

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry to hear about that Scott, but I can assure you that our Hsu Research forum is a very friendly place where people share in a sense of community and where people share knowledge too. Everyone is welcome to come there. The Hsu forum is now a moderated forum. I personally try to make sure that a friendly and hospitable environment is maintained there. We always feel that we have some of the most gracious and kind customers out there, and are very thankful for the support.

Sincerely,

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Scott

That is what I was afraid of. It really is a shame that zealots can just eliminate the entire product line of a company because you ask a natural question.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
This is a good point, Arthur. With any speaker brand ( particularly internet speaker brands), there are always some people who have a very strong sense of brand loyalty, and they show it on the various audio-related forums. On our forum, we encourage people to be friendly and supportive, and I think that anyone who visits there now would feel the same way.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Always good to hear from you Robb.

I haven't seen you mention this recently so maybe you could update Forum readers.

Are you still working as a Consultant for SVS?

Thanks

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Arthur, in all honesty, if Hsu wasn't a sponsor here, what you've been doing is borderline SPAM, IMO.

Robb: You get to be a consultant for SVS?? You lucky bastard...what is that like? That's gotta be a pretty cool gig, eh? :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've asked why I was singled out in your first post for "flaming". Have I "thread-crapped" any of your other numerous sale threads? The only reason I interacted with you in the first place is to answer this question you posted questioning my estimate of numers of IB drivers to match an SVS B4. You just couldn't believe it would take that much to match a B4, and I tried to explain the difference between vented and sealed...even posted a nice link for you:

http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...58#post2928558

You then posted the same question at AVS, and again my point was explained to you by others to try and clear up your confusion about vented/sealed:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=641837

At that point, I found it very funny that a guy who's giving so much subwoofer advice would be so clueless as to the basic operation/theory of such (another good one) . You then posted how you can "take the heat", and here's where I left it:

So, what are you afraid of? Are those the "flames" you refer to? What don't you want people to know that you're trying to head off my posting? Why bring me into it?

FWIW, I've owned Hsu products and loved them, 1220HO and 500w amp combo. Recommended them quite a lot, in fact. Which have you had?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Arthur,

I'm not sure how I make a living has anything to do with my not liking how you attacked multiple forum members for no reason, and if you recall, I personally don't care if this thread is nothing more than a blatant ad, and I've done no promoting of any products in this thread, but I'll bite.

The short answer is: not as much as I'd like. I do some consulting on the side, and SVS is one of the companies to have hired me on occasion. Unfortunately, my real job keeps me too busy to even spend much time on the forums, much less doing more interesting consulting work. I have helped with various software related projects, and assisted them at CES a couple of times.

Alan,

When I can find the time to work with them, yes, it is a cool gig. They really are the nicest, smartest guys you'd ever want to work with.

-Robb

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Okay, so both Jack and Robb have clearly indicated that they aren't bothered by the initial post....so that means I should WITHOUT DOUBT move into the #1 spot on the list of usual suspects. Arthur, next week when you start another post about an Hsu sub you've never heard, I expect to get top billing.....okay????

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Alan,

Actually, the way he opened the thread by flaming a fellow forum member while asking people not to flame (in the same sentence!) very much bothered me. I would have come to Jack's defense, but knowing how smart Jack is, that would be like sending Pee Wee Herman to protect Mike Tyson.

-Robb

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I always get a kick when an Hsu thread is started. The SVS fanboys usually are close to follow.......

I can remember SEVERAL posts about SVS deals and upcoming products and people all jumped on board and wanted to have TV's baby. The only place where the OP screwed up is to mention individuals in his first post.....that was pretty classless. The other funny thing is that the people who keep posting have direct connections with SVS......and yet you complain about this guy palling around with Peter.....pretty sad. The truth is, I am going to eventually get one of these Hsu subs and am looking foward to dealing with Hsu. A reason for this is how Peter cunducts himself on this forum. I have read several posts on this board where SVS fanboys and even owners rips into Hsu and acts VERY unprofessional.....I have never heard this from Hsu. I also think that inexepensive SVS's are ugly as sin and I have a WAF to deal with.
Not a big deal because this was a ong time ago but am I also the only one who forgets that Hsu was VERY instrumental in SVS??............I say this not to AT ALL insult SVS or their vast knowledge on subs....I just say this because Hsu has been around for a long time and have helped many different people with subs. People need to get a life and realize that BOTH SVS and Hsu are fantastic subs and let well enough alone. Deal with the company you feel more comfortable with and move on. I am choosing Hsu first. I know if I am not pleased that I have a fantastic alternative in SVS.......I don't know which thread is more amusing....this one or the one at AVS.....

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Evan, I appreciate your terminology and assumptions, but apparently you're more interested in your own agenda than actually understanding the issues here. I have nothing against the Hsu product whatsoever. I've recommended the Ventriloquist system on plenty of occasions, on this forum and others. Peter Marcks is nothing but an opportunist. If you can't see through some of the things he's said on here in the past, that's on you. He's nothing more than a talking head, and it's clear that he attempts to capitalize on the ignorance of people like yourself. As for the product, I'm actually GLAD that Hsu subs are well-regarded. It will keep companies like SVS on their toes with regard to pushing the envelope.

As for Arthur S, yeah, I think when you start a new post every few weeks about some company's pre-release promotion in a manner that is similar to a used car salesman, it's a bit obnoxious. I wasn't the first to recognize it, and I'm sure I won't be the last. Since Hsu is a sponsor here, there is no real interest on behalf of the forum owners to delete Arthur S's posts, but that doesn't mean I'm not going state my opinion.....I think it's ridiculous, especially since he's not even heard the product.

By the way, saying you've never heard anyone from Hsu or their fans be unprofessional pretty much marks YOU as the fanboy, my friend. That's about as naieve as it gets. Gimme a friggin break!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Evan,

How many people have a "direct connection" with SVS in this thread? It could be argued I do (in which case I have a LOT of "direct" connections with companies, and would have one with any company willing to pay my fees) but I don't recall ever having a problem with Arthur and Peter's relationship. In fact, I have no idea what, if any, relations they have. If they do have a relationship, I find it extremely humorous he'd ask if SVS is on my client list.

-Asking people not to flame while flaming a forum member.

-Poking fun at someone's spelling while so many of the sentences he constructs contain errors.

-Saying it's a shame people can't ask questions without getting attacked after attacking someone over a question.

-Trying to point out my "connection" with SVS if, in fact, he does have a relationship with Peter (I'm not saying this, Evan did). If they do have a "relationship", I don't care, because I don't see how it affects Arthur's personal attacks on people.

It may be classless, but it's also all hypocritical. You are right about both companies making fine products, though.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Wait a second, hold the phone! I haven't looked at the Hsu forums in a VERY long time, but after Peter said:

Letting people call the competition liars, thieves, and bullies based on unsubstantiated claims from the "subwoofer industry" as recently as the 15th of this month is moderated? When did this moderation begin? Yesterday? As long as quotes like that continue, someone has to admit they encourage that kind of behavior, or they don't moderate their forums.

-Robb

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for confirming your paid employment by SVS Robb

You do yourself an injustice by comparing yourself to PeeWee Herman. As far as equating Jack Gilvey with Mike Tyson...well, those were your words.

Apparently, Jack was something of a protege of Tom Vodhanel in the past 5-10 years. And has literally posted that I should submit for his approval, any post about HSU. I guess he wants me to become his protege now.

Alan

Please lighten up. After all, we don't want to spoil next year's trip to CES :) .

What is that old saying about killing the messenger?

Just keep saying to yourselves: competition is a good thing..competition is a good thing.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
BTW, there is a subtle, but distinct, difference between "employment by" a company and billing them. I am as much an employee of SVS as their electricity provider.

-Robb

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Robb

I didn't realize you ranked in importance to SVS similarly to their electric provider.

Competition is a good thing..competition is a good thing.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Arthur: I'm sure you're a cool guy to hang out with and all, and if we actually do meet up at CES next year I'll be happy to pay for the first round.....but there's no reason you can't just keep your repetitious message confined to a single thread. It's just common courtesy, IMO. You don't see myself and the other Alans starting a new thread every time we have an update to our Maggie lovin', do you? I don't see any reason why you can't do the same, especially since you're basically saying the same thing over and over again every time you start one.

And I DEFINITELY believe in competition....it's one of the thigns that makes this country great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks