What's new

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Wanted to start up a new thread for this season, considering it premiered last night on FX.

Why this show is better than The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, and The Wire combined:

• Mac's faux-Christianity is back.
  • Frank wears crocks.
  • Frank's clown hair is even crazier than last year.
  • Dennis' choked delivery of, "Did he die??"
  • Mac's shocked-whisper of, "That can't be true."
  • The tranny returns.
  • Dennis has no feelings, and thinks it's normal.
  • Lots of Dee almost throwing up.
  • Alley Almonds.

If you want to mine extra laughs out of this show, watch Frank when he has no lines. Danny DeVito's always doing the most brilliant shit with his face. The best part of this episode is his bulldog-look as Charlie explains how Dennis and Dee will eventually pull the plug on him.

The tandem back-cracking was tremendous. Charlie and Frank made the episode. Mac and Dee's back-and-forth heaving was awesome.

"I don't want to be the girl, and have my penis chopped off and mailed to China." And Brittany Daniel. Good God, y'all.

Also, we need to see Dennis and Mac's "Lethal Weapon 5" RIGHT NOW. Mac in blackface paying Murtaugh is something we just GOTTA SEE.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Also, we need to see Dennis and Mac's"Lethal Weapon 5" RIGHT NOW. Mac in blackface paying Murtaugh is something we just GOTTA SEE.

Yep, it needs to be seen. If not within this season, then as an extra on the DVD.

Charlie and Frank made the episode
It seems to me that they pulled back a little with Charlie's "Retardedness" He seemed a little more like he was in the first season.

I liked the episode, but I'm a little worried that it seems a running storyline has been introduced into the season (Dennis's marriage to Maureen Ponderosa). That seems like Shark Jump material to me, but we'll see what happens.

I read in some other sites that people seemed fixated on the increasing amounts of product placement on the show.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have'nt watched it yet I just started S5 on Disk so I have to finish that before I go to S6, I know what you mean I liked Charlie a little bit more in the earlier Seasons he was'nt so off the wall, had a little bit of restraint to his wackiness. Devito is a Gem thou

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As Josh mentioned, episodes where Mac uses his Catholicism to justify overreacting to his petty grudges are always among the top of the heap. This episode reminded me a lot of "Charlie Wants an Abortion", and that's a good thing.

I also loved the reveal of what was behind the boarded up door in Charlie and Frank's apartment: a disgustingly filthly tenament style half-bath. What the hell have they been doing for bowel movements all of these years? I'm also pretty sure the two by four they were using to beat each other numb was one of the boards that had kept the bathroom blocked off.

Originally Posted by WillG it-s-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-6#post_3730025

I liked the episode, but I'm a little worried that it seems a running storyline has been introduced into the season (Dennis's marriage to Maureen Ponderosa). That seems like Shark Jump material to me, but we'll see what happens.

Next week's episode is titled "Dennis Gets Divorced", so I don't think it's that long of a storyline.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed it, good start to the season. Although I have to admit 'The League' which followed it made me laugh more.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I was so, so happy when we saw that first title card, "Mac Fights Gay Marriage." Seeing that, I thought, "Welcome back, Sunny. I've missed you."

To add to what others have said about what makes Sunny awesome sauce:

• "Biblical liberalisms."

• "You called this softbody, and then gay-married him."

• The gang's incredulity at Mac's disbelief that there's no "bar Bible."

• "We're just two cool straight dudes that happen to be married."

Like I said: welcome back, gang. Loved Mac trying to fight the idea that he's gay because he didn't wait until after she had the operation. And the scene where Dennis kicked him out: "You don't actually own anything in this apartment!"

Fairly solid episode. I guess Sweet Dee's going to be pregnant from that loser, right? I was hoping for something a little less predictable, but it's still great that they wrote it into the show.

Is Mac gay? If they go that way with the character, it could be hysterical.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My bad, that open door into the dicey half-bath isn't the boarded up door; they just shot the scene facing the wall with Charlie's Reagan Administration era TV instead of facing the wall with the pullout couch like they usually do. I happened upon a season one episode, and the dicey half-bath doorway was in the same spot then too.

Originally Posted by joshEH

Is Mac gay? If they go that way with the character, it could be hysterical.

Mac: No one is more respected than dudes in prison right?
Charlie: Yeah.
Mac: And what are dudes in prison?
Charlie Kelly: Hard?
Mac: Yes Charlie, men in prison are hard. And don't we want to be hard?

"I'm never going to admit that, Carmen. But come on, I mean him? What do you see in this guy? I mean, look at my body compared to his. I'm a hard body, you're a hard body. We could be hard bodies together."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
  So many great moments. Not to mention that last scene (aside from LETHAL WEAPON 5, which does sound amazing).   That was a miniature masterpiece of weird, awkward sadness, with the discussion of the cat-shirt and her weird little meow, and "I like to stay comfy and current," to the weird excited face she made after suggesting they make fish sticks, and the profoundly-creepy whispered delivery of the line, "I bought some" -- just great.   So awful, so hilarious. Almost "Louie"-esque.   Also loved the way they shot/edited the ending. Epic comedy. Reminded me of that Charlie "single tear" ending.     (EDIT: Click on the above GIF to animate it...apparently, the boards aren't letting full animations through at the moment. Bah.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My favorite ending is still from the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest parody episode where Will Sampson's son tears the water fountain off the wall and throws it through the window, but Frank walks through the window instead. And it holds on him walking toward the horizon, just like the movie, except he hits the fence and he's too short to climb over it, so the last minute of the episode is Frank trying unsuccessfully to get over the fence.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Here's a bonus one, from the guy who's doing these. Framerate had to be a bit lower than usual because it's a bit longer, time-wise (again, click to animate):

Holy shit, that Frank-face.

Another favorite little bit was Mac's frustrated, "I don't have enough facts to support my argument," followed by Dennis's matter-of-fact, "...Clearly!"

I also like that they had Mac tell his real-life wife that he'd rather be shot in the face than marry her.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
From Glenn Howerton's Twitter:

In answer to many ??s: Yes... U will get to see Mac, Dennis, Frank n Charlie's Lethal Weapon 5 later this season. It's insane

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A Fear reference! Nice. Of all the movies featuring Reese Witherspoon getting fingered on a rollercoaster, they certainly picked the best one to mine for comedy.
  If only they had called William Petersen "the guy from Manhunter," or "To Live and Die in L.A."
Great wrap-up to the arc from last week. Charlie and Frank's bickering was classic -- I almost died when he gave him the $10 bill at the strip club for the "group lapdance." Also, a lawyer in a fannypack.   "That's Marky Mark. That's what Marky Mark does!!"

Charlie wearing the marriage certificate around his neck was outstanding. As was his discussion with Frank about custody of the elephant drawings.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
He'll be playing a crazy trucker, coming up later this season.

"We were thinking the character needed to be someone who is edgy and grizzled and someone who is potentially dangerous at any moment," [Charlie] Day says. "He seemed excited that we wanted to work with him and that it wasn't a joke, but that we were serious about his abilities as an actor. He came in and he nailed it."

...Fuck yes to the FUCKING YES.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I come for the shenanigans, I stay for the Steve Winwood references.
And "The Implication" is one for the ages. Plus Don Swayze. Dee dancing with the inflatable guy was the high point of the episode. But I did love how Mac called Dennis out on the boat when they thought they were the "treats": "Is this how you want to make your girls feel?" And why would Dennis own Steve Winwood CDs? I know they were going for a "Yacht Rock" thing, but Dennis has a hard-on for Rick Astley, which is a far cry from Winwood. I took it as being emblematic of his taste for terrible '80s music. Let's not forget about "Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack," where he puts "Higher Love" into the spin class instructor's CD player ("...That's a gift for you, bumblebee").

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This Dennis/Mac storyline hit season-one levels on the inappropriate meter. Part of me knew that the houseboat would have to be destroyed, since nothing can ever go right for these people on account of how awful they are, but part of me was hoping one or more of the characters would just be living on this decepit houseboat the rest of the series.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The last 30 seconds or so were up there with the security guard telling Kenny he could buy a sniper rifle at the gift shop on South Park and the "Real American" entrance on Eastbound & Down as the week's funniest TV material. The little montage they did to "Push It To The Limit" was brilliant. Felt like I was watching Scarface (and/or playing Grand Theft Auto III). And it was great seeing Cricket again. Cricket saying his neck wound looked like a dog's vagina was pretty amazing.
Also, the radio stuff: The close-ups of Frank chomping on the crackers and escalating the hot-seat guests, Dennis' high-pitched commentator voice, and Dee's obsession with the sound effects...so much fun. That said, the sight of Charlie in that mullet wig and flag cape was greatness. And doesn't "Jabroni" mean "loser"? At first, I thought Mac was knocked out by the DJs because he called them that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks