It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JohnS, Sep 13, 2007.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    The new season starts TONIGHT!!
    SO glad this show is back.

It looks like they're doing two episodes tonight

The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby

The gang finds a baby in a dumpster, and Dee and Mac decide to raise him. Meanwhile, Dennis wants to join a group of environmental activists and Charlie attempts to learn the truth about his paternity.

The Gang Gets Invincible

Mac, Dennis and Dee try out for the Philadelphia Eagles. Also interested in becoming an Eagle is Liam and Ryan McPoyle's brother, Doyle.

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Yea!!!

Looking forward to the new season.

3. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Pretty funny so far.

"This is my second coat, it makes it look better...

You know, you're right!"

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I loved the part in the dumpster baby episode where Dee and Mac explain to the
    talent agent that their white baby really is Mexican and that they can dress it up like a Mexican and give it little guns like a bandito.

I also love the 'cold openings' then cut right to the humorous title.
    Like the dumpster baby one, where Dennis opens the dumpster and says, "Oh shit!...There's a baby in this dumpster"

5. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I finally got around to watching the first 2 episodes of the season.

The show is still pretty funny and not afraid to go over the top with the humor. That is what I like about it.

I am still not a big fan of them adding Danny Devito. He seems to have taken over the "main character" spot which doesn't seem right for this show. All the other characters seem to be just sidekicks now.

Also, is it me or was there just way to much yelling in the show? I have to turn down the volume when I watch it. I don't remember it (the yelling) being so annoying last season.

It was pretty creepy seeing even more of the McPoyle family. That is once freaky family.

One last comment: The opening theme music for the show is just so fun. It couldn't be so wrong for this type of show. It is so wrong it is perfect.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I really don't mind the addition of Danny Devito.
    He seems to be a nice sidekick of sorts with Charlie.

I watch the show for the over the top raunchy humor
    and to see just how stupid Charlie is.

So far this season we found out that Charlie is the survivor of an abortion
    which I'm betting we find out some even worse stuff with him.

Next Thursday we get two more episodes

Dennis and Dee's Mom is Dead

After Barbara's death, Dee and Frank are unhappy to learn that she left them both out of the will, while Dennis inherits the mansion which he plans to turn into a party pad.

The Gang Gets Held Hostage

The McPoyles hold the entire gang hostage at Paddys while Frank is busy searching for his will in the air ducts.

7. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    LOL, The commercial for the next episodes make it look like one of the guys is going to get some hot steamy uni-brow action. [​IMG]

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Another two great episodes.

I loved the Dennis and Dee's Mom is Dead episode.
    So creepy yet funny. Loved the part with the guys handing out the penis/muscle arm flyers.

the The Gang Gets Held Hostage was funny but almost surreal.
    Probally the weakest of the season so far.

Two more next Thrusday!!

The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation

A Korean restaurant owner threatens to get Paddy's kicked off the route for the city's annual pub crawl. The gang's response: War.

The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty McGoo

Dee is shocked to learn that an overweight social outcast from her High School has become a rich and skinny fashion designer.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The hostage episode was probably the most fucked up episode of the entire series. It's the only one that has no real bearing on reality. It also might be the only one that takes place entirely within the confines of the bar.

I did love Frank in the labyrinthine airducts (despite the bar being in a building smaller than many houses) with Charlie's cryptic and semi-illiterate messages at key junctures. And Charlie's "bad room".

The best revelation about the Invincible episode was that Frank never made it inside the McPoyle's RV. It does raise questions how a man as small as Danny DeVito could shit into a full-sized trash can.

I think the strongest episode of the season so far was the premiere. The show works best with Dennis, Dee, and Mac in the A-plot and Charlie and sometimes Frank on the B-plot.

Stephen Collins is kind of a prick on this show.

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    The McPoyle's said they were getting revenge(hostage situation)
    what exactly we're they getting revenge for?
    I'm assuming for shooting their brother in the leg during the Eagles try-outs(in The Gang Gets Invincible episode)

I agree.
    You can almost have a spinoff with Charlie and Frank.
    Have them living together and call it The REALLY Odd Couple [​IMG]

11. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    These last 2 episode were certainly not the best. I wish the guys would do stuff that is at least plausible. The whole hunting for friends thing was just too stupid. Even for these guys.

I still like the show, but it is starting to be less consistent. Some of the stuff is less funny, and more cringe-worthy.

12. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I agree. Idiotic can be funny, but their extreme idiocy is becoming so absurd that it can bother the viewer more than entertain.

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

"Yippee kay ya, Mr Falcon!" [​IMG]

~T

14. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I watched
    The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation- which was a great episode.
    My second favorite of this season.
    I loved the part where Frank is making the micro brew and asks Dee to get the Anti-freeze, so he can make the brew sweeter.

and the part where Charlie and Dennis are at the North Koreans bar, and see the private door, and Charlie says it's a pirate door and wonders if a pirate lives there.

The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty McGoo - wasn't all that great.
    The only part I loved is when Charlie is getting off on Dennis' drawings of the big boobed girl.
    But I like it how Dennis uses the same song from season 2(when Mac dates the pre-op), when he's putting on the lipstick.

Next week's episodes are

The Gang Sells the Bar

The gang agrees to sell Paddys when they get an offer that is too good to refuse, but it forces the bar's non-partners, Dee and Charlie to find new jobs.

Frank Sets Sweet Dee On Fire

Mac teams up with Frank and Charlie to create a public access newscast after he misses his chance at fame in the news. Meanwhile, Dennis and Dee try to make it big in the club scene.

15. Adam Lenhardt

In the future could you spoilerize the future titles? With most shows it's no big deal, but with "...Sunny.." the title is usually one of the better gags in the episode.

I agree that "North Korean Situation" was great; one of the few episodes that holds up with the first season in quality. Part of what made it great was that the scale was so small. Rampant stereotyping aside, it was pretty plausible.
    I also agree that "Aluminum Monster" was less than spectacular. Where does Frank get a sweatshop and a crew of Eastern European women? And the episode wasn't really about anything very outrageous. Any sitcom could do the "jealous of a former classmate" storyline.

16. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The Korean episode was great. I loved everything about Dennis and Charlie's visit to the restaurant: the way Dennis used his duster jacket, the "pirate" door, and their attempts at opening the door. I like how little things carry over from episode to episode. In the previous one, Dennis was able to kick through the door at the clothing store and that was his first attempt at opening the private door.

I felt the first episode was more about Dennis than it was about Dee.

~T

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

No feedback on this week's episodes?

Both were good but I liked the first alot more.

"Yeah, I can get some wood" - Charlie.

I loved the talk the guys had in front of the businessman.

Charlie and Mac talking about martial arts in Chinatown, and how Kurt Russell fought the lightning bolt guy.

"They're passing the same fish back and forth" - Charlie.

The cat chopping machine.

Charlie's explanation of why he didn't put a tape into the camcorder.

~T

18. Adam Lenhardt

I was dying when Dee came out of the building on fire and Frank has to use the fire extinguisher on her, and then damn near crying with laughter when the plume of flame shoots out of the well.
    As someone who gets the cheap $8.95 cable package (part of why I'm not posting until now), I watch more public access TV than I should. And it's full of random crazy shit like that.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I mainly laughed at Dee getting set on fire, repeatedly.

20. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I wasn't a big fan of either episode this week.

But I did laugh at Charlie when he was wearing the Saved by the Bell Bayside Tigers T-shirt.

Seems like Season 3 isn't that strong [​IMG]