What's new

It's a Wonderful Life on Blu-ray 11-3-2009 (1 Viewer)

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
Yeah, I didn't think about that. Someone told me the other day that George Bailey is the name of the main character in the film. I hope to have a break from school during Thanksgiving and will watch it with family members.

I envy you the event of enjoying this film for the first time. It is a perfect slice of Frank Capra's americana pie. You won't be disappointed. It's a great story, very well told.

I knew it would be. The last dvd was beautiful. The transfer was hampered only by the audio pops, which seem to have been corrected. Dare I say after all of the poor broadcast versions 20 or so years ago, followed by poor pd copies, a wonderful transfer by Republic for the 45th Anniversary that unfortunately contained some splices and audio dropouts, a newer version by Republic (still shown on NBC every year) employing awful freeze frames that covered damage, the original dvd with poor audio and a splice, the restored Paramount version I mentioned...WHEW!....could this finally be a definitive edition???? Looks like it just might be!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Thanks, John!

Oh my. Say what you will about screencaps...but this looks wonderful!

It was always going to though wasn't it? It would take a screwup of enormous proportions to mess up the transfer of that last gorgeous restoration.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
I'm a little confused about dvdbeaver's information. It indicates the BD was released on Nov 13, 2007???

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to see that the B&W version got a nice big 41 gb devoted to it. DVDbeaver's screen caps don't have a good reputation, but this looks great. There will be some complaints that the audio isn't lossless, though.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I almost always watch this movie every year, and I always meant to add it to my library. But I never did. This looks like the one to get! In reading the review, it's too bad the BD edition is missing the Capra tribute.

Did a spot check, and............WOW! Looks even better than the screenshots. My mouth is still agape. Audio pops are also GONE.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I put the BD on last night to see how it looked...wow! It does not seem that long ago that this title was public domain and had awful transfers and even footage missing. Now it is aboslutely stunning. This is an example of why film restoration is needed and cherished. I'll watch the whole film when it gets closer to Christmas.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
The British Blu-ray from Universal contains both the b&w and colour versions on one disc.

Bonus materials:
- Trivia subtitle track
- Picture comparison: while watching the colour version, it's possible to compare it with the b&w version via the picture-in-picture feature
- Theatrical trailer

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
[/url]

The British Blu-ray from Universal contains both the b&w and colour versions on one disc.

Bonus materials:
- Trivia subtitle track
- Picture comparison: while watching the colour version, it's possible to compare it with the b&w version via the picture-in-picture feature
- Theatrical trailer

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'll still buy it, and I'll still enjoy it. Sue me. While this release may not be a 100/100, it is certainly in the 90-95/100 range, and considering I've never seen the film in anything I would rate as better than 60/100 in quality (if not much worse), I'm sure I'll be quite satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks