What's new

It's a mad mad mad mad world (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
..wanted to jump in here and say I recently sent an update to IMDB as they ( IMDB) also have Spencer Tracy's characters names as C.G. Culpeper when in fact it is T.G. Culpeper as they name appears on his office door at the part of the movie that Culpeper is having a bad day on the phones between his wife and daughter .. and the other officer detective appears at the door to give Tracy an Update of the Chase and Tracy ( Culpeper ) shoos him away with his hand .......
It would be nice to see the charactor's name changed to T.G. Culpeper .. I bring this up, as earlier in this thread there is a newspaper article about the movie and the running time of 3 hours 17 minutes .. the cast and crew in the article gives (again) C.G. Culpeper.. which makes me wonder where C.J. came from?? it has undoubtably been copied over the years of the same mistake over and over ....
Hopefully within a month or so IMDB will have corrected this as other sites such as Amazon and maybe Rotten Tomatoes get their cast/crew information from .

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
CG, CJ ... who can keep up?

And in the meantime ... please ... it's Culpepper.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Come on guys ... You are supposed to be professional about all this .......http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/790166/width/600/height/400

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
LISTEN, I say we give THE BIG BOY an EXTRA SHARE! :)
after all, he's the one that found the "T.G."
09119efd_AnExtrashare.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I finally caved after hearing raves about the video quality of the Walmart disk and agree it is a fine looking disk.
I am happy it looks as good as it does but I still fear that any possible efforts to do it right have been sapped by this shovelware exclusive version.
I would pay serious money to a Kickstarter campaign to do it right.
I should add that I have taken the liberty of ripping this Walmart Bluray to my own personal archive as a way of sticking it to the man. ;) It has the side benefit of now going with me anywhere I want on my iPad for easy reference.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
RolandL said:
Here is a review of the movie from the November 11, 1963 issue of Boxoffice magazine. 197 minutes plus the intermission.
http://cineramahistory.com/1963iammmmwreview.jpg
Interesting to see that from a 1963 review the Spencer Tracy role in cast names ( and still to this day) marked as C.G. Culpeper rather than T.G. Culpeper .. wonder if this was the beginning of a long long list of web sites including IMDB that has been listing this gaf as so ..... ??

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I think this thread or something similar has been around since I joined the forum in 1999.
Not to be insulting or rude, but isn't there a time where you give up and let it go? The missing foootage and music of this film may never be found, assuming they still exist at all.
Many people want to see the pristine uncut version from the original version, but it's nearly fifty years old. Things happen, they get misplaced, offices move, etc.
I loved the version of A Star is Born, even with the missing footage. Why can't people just accept a version like that?
Instead they seem to be on this mythical treasure hunt to find the perfect, pristine film that may not even be out there.
Not to be negative, keep up the goodwork, but I'm a couple years older than this film and the missing eight, ten, 13 or whatever minutes seems awfully silly to keep obsessing over.
As far as the Roadsow Version, I was two when it came out, so certainly have no memory of it. Many on this forum are much younger than me, so you're missing something you probably never saw in the first place,
I'm ready for the flames and bashing, so let it rip.

Real Name
Pino
i don't care. this is still the #1 movie that needs to be restored.
Please, say it don't make any difference Aunt Bell!

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Boy, what I wouldn't give to see RAH and his hand picked team of restorers, get ahold of this picture!
If only I had a couple of spare millions and some connections at the studios....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by rmw650 /t/275427/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world/90#post_3964807
I would love to see the 192 minute edition be released, if it ever does come to fruition, but the best thing would be seeing the original 5.5 hour one, the initial prints that is. That would be something!

From what we have been able to discern, there was a single 70mm cutting copy that serviced a number of different previews beginning around July of 1963. This print, along with a 6-track copy of the audio, was constantly re-cut and conformed as the film was shortened. There is no 5 hour plus version that survives. We were able to get the film, with some missing image, up to around 192 minutes.

RAH

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
Mr. Harris, if you're reading this, I'd like to make a suggestion on how to get the 192 minute cut on to Blu-ray and DVD; have Criterion release it. It's a perfect answer to get it release to the public (that and that the film turns 50 next year makes it more so) and I don't know if MGM wants to re-release the film on Blu-ray again by themselves. You can have both cuts (192-minute cut and the General Release Version) new and old extras included. Plus, for DVD, I think a ne release is long overdue.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I've been a big fan of this movie since first seeing it in a neighborhood theater as a boy when the movie finally came to the Bronx in 1965. (And I'm quite sure I saw the shortened version back then.) I've been following the whole "restoration" commotion about it since the 1980s, but I have yet to see a list of significant missing scenes. When a "restored" version came out on VHS sometime in the 1990s, I believe, all it had were trims added to various scenes, some of them even duplicating each other, IIRC. No major "lost" sequences. The one noticeable exchange of dialogue I remember that was new to me was Jonathan Winters' reminiscence about a lady in his hometown (a teacher?) who helped him as a child and how he wanted to use the money to do something for her. I'm not sure now whether this was in the VHS or the more recently purchased Blu-ray, but it wasn't anything I felt was crucial to the film. Has anyone anywhere compiled a list of missing scenes from the Roadshow version? Was there more with the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton? Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Vic Pardo
I've been a big fan of this movie since first seeing it in a neighborhood theater as a boy when the movie finally came to the Bronx in 1965. (And I'm quite sure I saw the shortened version back then.) I've been following the whole "restoration" commotion about it since the 1980s, but I have yet to see a list of significant missing scenes. When a "restored" version came out on VHS sometime in the 1990s, I believe, all it had were trims added to various scenes, some of them even duplicating each other, IIRC. No major "lost" sequences. The one noticeable exchange of dialogue I remember that was new to me was Jonathan Winters' reminiscence about a lady in his hometown (a teacher?) who helped him as a child and how he wanted to use the money to do something for her. I'm not sure now whether this was in the VHS or the more recently purchased Blu-ray, but it wasn't anything I felt was crucial to the film.
Has anyone anywhere compiled a list of missing scenes from the Roadshow version? Was there more with the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton?
Thanks.
Yes, and yes.
RAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks