What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I always thought a remake of IAMMMMW with a current crop of comics and cameo appearances would be interesting.

If that ever came about, a studio might be interested in releasing the original as a tie-in. I doubt that would include the cost of a major restoration, however.

Still, how hard would it be to get that current print with the police band chatter onto a DVD? I'd pay for it... so would a lot of fans...

- Steve

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris' news is a bit heartbreaking at first, but considering how he was able to work miracles with the decomposing elements of My Fair Lady, Lawrence of Arabia, and Vertigo, I have hope that he can do it again. I wonder if he has checked possible foreign sources for old negatives/prints from the film's first international run. I've heard of many an older film (e.g., silents) which was restored due to film elements found in foreign film archives- look at the recent discovery of the Swanson-Valentino film Beyond The Rocks!
Also, he could try contacting as many of the surviving cast and crew- maybe they can give him leads. I only hope that sometime in the near future I will be able to see a restored roadshow version in 70mm at the Ziegfeld Theatre, as I did with Lawrence and My Fair Lady!
P.S.: The film itself isn't the only thing about the film being restored- apparently, "the big W" is in process of being replanted!
http://imdb.com/title/tt0057193/trivia

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
I could probably trot out some of my previous postings about theaters and proper film presentation here - but once again, what theaters could today give justice to a restored

version of "Mad4World"? Only a handful have the curved

"Cinerama" screens used for the original presentation; beyond that, not many theaters are presently equipped for

70mm presentation - and even in those that are, few devote

the attention to presentation found in the glory days of the

"roadshow". The Uptown in D.C.'s gotten rid of most of their real projectionists and, I believe, doesn't use their

curtains anymore. The Ziegfeld in NYC shows commercials before their movies - even before "Lawrence of Arabia"!

(incredible sacrilege!)

It'd be a shame to do a restoration just so we could have

a better DVD!

(Thanks again to Mr. Harris - who's given me some of my most

memorable film going experiences!)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was listening to Stanley Kramers commentary on the IAMMMMW soundtrack and he stated that his film was NOT filmed in Cinerama as I assumed it was. He said it was blown up to fill that format and he traveled all over the world trying to fit it on movie screens, sometimes with great success and sometimes not.

If anyone is interested, i can transcribe it and post it here. very interesting.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The film was created for use on either flat or highly curved screens, with differnt prints for different venues. Flat screens necessitated an anamorphic lens to unsqueeze the image, usually to an aspect ratio of around 2.55:1.

Curved screens could run the image all the way out to 2.76 without an anamorphic adapter. The curve of the screen and the unique "rectified" prints would yield a perfect image.

There is no problem running this film today, as there is no problem running Ben-Hur. Of necessity is the desire to do it.

RAH

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
(Thanks again to Mr. Harris - who's given me some of my most

memorable film going experiences!)
Indeed! I took the day off work when the restored Lawrence of Arabia opened in Dallas. The theater, AMC Glen Lakes, had decorated the halls with sheets to make it look like a tent. Some rather uncomfortable-looking teenagers were in costumes, taking tickets. It was great fun. What was that? 15 years ago, and I still remember it?

Here's looking to more memorable experiences!

- Steve

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
My point's not that "Mad4World" be shown only on "Cinerama"

screens - though that's the way I saw it originally, and it would be neat to see it that way again. I'm quite aware that the movie was not actually Cinerama (just a marketing gimmick exploiting the format's name), and I'm also aware that most theaters which still have curved screens don't use the full Cinerama curve, nor do they use the louvered panels which Cinerama screens used.

My point is that there are far fewer theaters capable of

doing a successful 70mm presentation than there were at the time of Mr. Harris' "Vertigo" restoration in 1996. It appears that both the Ziegfeld and Uptown have joined the ranks of those theaters which just don't care about presentation quality. (Please don't flame me for this - just a dumb idea. Perhaps it's better to do a 4K digital "restoration", since digital's such a buzz-word these days and would have much more marketing clout than 70mm, which nobody cares about unless it's IMAX.)

FWIW - if the restoration happens, I'll be on a plane to the

Cinerama Dome in L.A., where the movie had its premiere in 1963 - and which still cares very much about presentation quality, as evidenced by the effort put into their showings of

"How the West Was Won" and the 70mm cut version of

"Mad4World".

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
As I said, I'm not sure about the state of 70mm equipment in Dallas anymore, with the demise of Northpark. I saw Vertigo there, BTW. Northpark was also one of a handful of theaters showing Titanic in 70mm with DTS. It was awesome--especially when they turned the temperature down in the auditorium once the ship hit the iceberg. But I digress.

In the day and age of today's megaplexes, I fear that you are right that few theaters care about presentation and can show something to its fullest potential.

Which means that movie fans are left with plane rides, long drives, or with these little shiny things that contain digital approximations of what appeared on screen (or--gasp--digital video tapes with high-definition resolution. But despite my last few pre-recorded movie purchases, that's a dead format.)

Let's just hope that a properly restored IAMMMMW is not a dead idea.

- Steve

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With this continuing discussion, it should be mentioned that at this time there is no plan for a reconstruction or restoration of Mad World.

RAH

Jo_C

Second Unit
In that case, hang on to your VHS's, LaserDiscs, or DVD-R dubs of the "extended LaserDisc version"!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
What's absolutely amazing- and incredibly disheartening- is that Hollywood executives are willing to THROW OUT an entire $35-million budgeted film and refilm it with a new director (i.e., EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING)- or even the SAME director i.e. CURSED- at great cost only to find out when they release the resultant POS that they should've simply released the first version, yet they won't spend a couple million at most to restore one of their catalogue classics.

This is just downright absurd. There needs to be established a "classic film restoration" fund or something. If some of these billionaire Hollywood directors i.e. Spielberg are truly in love with cinema, you'd think they'd be willing to donate to such a fund, no?

Vincent

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think amc used to have a film preservaton weekend that was sponsored i some way by scorsese.

i cant find anything on this at amctv.com.

but have wondered for as long as we have been discussing this, why martin scrosese hasnt been brought into this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i found this at amctv.com
http://www.amctv.com/article?CID=1049-1--0-3-EST
Our culture, literally, is going up in smoke. Less than half of the twenty-one thousand films made before 1950 still exist, because their nitratefilm stock, over time, turns to acid and burns the images away. Even more recent films are at risk; movies shot in Eastmancolor from the 1950s through the mid-70s, for example, lose their color over time, fading toa pale pink (more evidence for Joe McCarthy of a Hollywood Communist conspiracy).
AMC is proud to join The Film Foundation and its founders ? Martin Scorsese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, Woody Allen, Francis Ford Coppola, and others ? in an effort to save these decaying films and thereby save the twentieth century's most important means of cultural expression.
Film preservation is a recent idea. As early as twenty years ago, the only people preserving films were underfunded archives. The big studios simply saw film libraries as an unnecessary storage expense that they were unwilling to indulge in. Often, films would be copied onto video tape and the negative destroyed. This haphazard "preservation," however, didn't take into account the low quality of videotape compared to the high-definition digital technology available today. And who knows what technology awaits in the future? In addition, some of the video transfers that were made were of edited cuts of the films. Often the films were not letterboxed before the transfer to video, which caused them to lose the wide aspect ratio of big-screen cinemascope movies, thereby sullying the integrity of the film picture.
Film preservation is now recognized as an important cultural endeavor, and some of the studios have built preservation facilities and improved the preservation policies of their libraries. But funds have been shrinking. Adjusted for inflation, government funding of the effort is less than half of what it was in 1980. A black and white film costs from $10,000 to $50,000 to preserve; a color film from $30,000 to $300,000. AMC's efforts to raise money through our annual Film Preservation Festival are now more important than ever in helping archives preserve not only Silent and Golden Era films, but irreplaceable historical documents like newsreels as well.
In the past, AMC has raised over $1.5 million to support the Foundation's six member archives. We've helped raised the money to restore and preserve films like Stagecoach (1939), My Darling Clementine (1946), and All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).
another article.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...eservation.htm
i think i found the link to the main site for Film Foundation.
http://www.film-foundation.org/default.cfm
mybe they dont even know the problem with mad world.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Spielberg is a major benefactor in a number of areas. It is not his responsibility to fund the restoration of films, the copyrights (and asset trails of which) are owned by huge corporations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
AMC is proud to join The Film Foundation and its founders
You gotta be kidding. AMC used to be a great network. How can they say they support films in any way when they regularly, edit, censor, shorten, pan&scan and have commercial interruptions??
TCM is a real channel for film fans. AMC is an embarassing joke!:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks