What's new

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Restoration discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Re: Ken McAlinden...

Thanks for explaining this. You have a future in film restoration -- or possibly public relations.

Re: Darren Gross...

None of the footage used for the laser disc was from a work print. It was either from trims (from either a number of standard long version prints or from 2 or 3 "preview" prints which were produced, cut and re-cut to various forms -- from about 219 minutes in the summer of 1963 through 195 in mid-November; or from a production reel, which was probably used for either stockholders meeting or as a preview for theatreowners.

Re: Peter Kline...

The majority of 70mm MW prints were rectified -- specially produced for the number of theatres with huge curved (many with a 17 foot setback -- distance between edges and center of screen -- and full strips. Very few of the prints were produced in a standard 1.25 anamorphic linear fashion. The rectification would remove the anamorphosis from the center of the image, and add more to the edges, which would be "normalized" by the curve of the screen.

RAH

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
I had never seen this film, until last night. For those who missed it it was on the Turner Classic Movies channel. I got lucky channel surfing and came across it at the very beginning.
This is a great film that truely deserves to be restored! How does the current version on DVD appear? Might have to add that to the list of films to get.
My favorite line and scenes, "I say we just shoot them down and be done with it," control tower guy talking about trying to get the Beachcraft buzzing the tower on the ground.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Oscar, you just asked my question. I noticed that there were a few bad print spots in last nights version. How does the dvd look. Also, are the deleted scenes apart of the laserdisc verson.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The version on TCM was the "not the road show" expanded version that was previously released on laserdisc. The added segments beyond the general release short version varied in quality from "almost unnoticeable" to "nth generation dupe" to "strangely curved" and everywhere in between. The DVD looks better and more consistent, especially if you can take advantage of the anamorphic enhancement, but obviously includes none of the additional footage (addendum: none in the body of the film -- a lot of it appears in the haphazardly assembled deleted scenes section of the DVD). The biggest gaffe on the DVD is that they messed up the color scheme of the opening title cards.

Regards,

Don D

Grip
Can somebody direct me to the URL for Ronald Epstein's article on "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." I've searched the site for 20 minutes now and haven't been able to find it -- it's probably right in front of me but for whatever reason I don't see it.

Thanks,

-- Don

Joe.MMW

Auditioning
:emoji_thumbsup:
I came across RE's article on the Mad World restoration a few weeks ago (kudos to R. Harris)- is there any new info on the restoration?
Before the internet, I knew of very few fans of Mad World- now I'm finding them everywhere. I knew the Web was good for something.
Also, does anyone know of any Mad World websites by fans? I'm always looking for new info about Mad World.
Thanks-

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
It has been a while since I used these forums and request the moderators to forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong place. Like many people, I am a great fan of Stanley Kramer's 1963 classic "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Again like most others, I only have the edited 161-minute version on DVD.
I heard that there was a 182-minute 'Special Edition' released last year on Region 1 only. Indeed, Amazon have this listed, but as 'out of stock'; most of the sellers of in the Amazon Marketplace area seem to have just the 154 or 161 minute versions, with some admitting that their DVD is listed as the 'Special Edition' by mistake.
Then last night I read Ron Epstein's great article about the film's restoration and am hopeful again. But I need some advice on exactly how to go from here. Can you please answer these questions? Thanks.
- Is there really a 182-minute 'Special Edition' available out there on DVD? If so, I have not been able to get it so far. Any advice on where to get it?
-If this is available, is it the best we can hope from MGM? I understand that there could be a 'full' 195-minute version in the future (on 2 or even 3 discs?).
-Is it worth waiting in hope that the fullest version possible (including scenes like Dick Shawn's Sylvester character 'borrowing' his girlfriend's car) will be released on DVD someday?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The only version available on dvd is the short, cut version. The longest version available is the laser disc. The full roadshow is unavailable, and unless someone ponys up the money for Robert Harris to restore it, it'll be too late to ever see (if it isn't already. :frowning: )

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,
I am going out to Columbia studios next week.
There is a gentleman there that is in charge of
all the restorations that the studio has done.
He's a great guy who I have had the pleasure of
talking to before. He has offered to lend an ear
whenever I have a question and/or suggestion.
If Sony ends up buying MGM this will place that
studio in a position to restore IAMMMMW.
I am going to see if I can convince the studio
that this would be a project worth putting on the
front burner.
Mind you, I'm a nobody trying to jumpstart a major
restoration project --- but at least I'll be talking
to the person who would have the most influence in
getting such a project started.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Good luck, Ron.

Make sure your salesmen techniques are highly prepared going into the meeting.

If all else fails, tell him there is one guaranteed sale on my part.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Grover Crisp has supposedly done great work with the Sony library, hopefully he can do the same for its "new arrivals."

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ron, while you're there, ask Columbia about their Boris Karloff films which are not out at all yet:
THE BLACK ROOM
THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG
BEFORE I HANG
THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES
THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU
:D

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Ron,

My fingers are crossed for IAMMMW having a much greater chance of being restored/cared for then it ever was at MGM storage facility. Way to Go Sony!

Hallelujah! Who knows maybe within 2 years it will finally be out as an expanded DVD to enjoy at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks