It isnt the ideal settup, but what do u think

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohnMurphy, Jan 28, 2006.

1. JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy Extra

I have
    5.1 kenwood receiver
    JBL E80 front speakers
    JBL control monitors for rear surround.
    Bose center channel
    I want to get a new 5890 receiver for 7.1
    I also want new surround speakers.
    My room isnt settup for the correct placement of the rear speakers. Can I or should I get dipole/bipole speakers for the rear and side channels? I plan on angeling the rear speakers down to fire the sound towards the rear couch, where I sit. I tried to make a drawing but it will not turn out right. Soo, I will explain what I have. Rectangle room 20x12
    front speakers near the front wall
    Rear speakers on the back wall,in the corners angled 45 deg.
    My couch is against the rear wall, so I cannot have my rear surounds behind me a few feet. I plan on having the side surrounds even with the couch.
    Any advise will be a big help. Thanks. Murph

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Don’t feel you have to use all seven channels; I only use five because I’m perfectly happy with the effect and I really don’t want another two speakers hanging on my walls.

In your situation, with the couch on the rear wall, you’ll want regular direct radiating speakers. Di-and bipoles are made to mount on side walls several feet away from the back wall. That would put the rears way in front of your seat, which you don’t want.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy Extra

Thats what I thought. I really didnt want to spend the extra$$$$$ for new speakers. Thanks. Murph