Issues with theTime Warner DVR...please help me

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by GeorgeVT, Sep 24, 2003.

1. GeorgeVT

GeorgeVT Agent

I just got the Time Warner DVR (Scientific Atl. Explorer 8000). I am having some issues with it:

(1) The box takes forever to respond to the remote...I hit channel up and then channel doesnt show up for like 5 seconds or so. Is this normal in DVRs? Can this delay be fixed?

(2) Last night when I was watching a recording the video started to get choppy and stuttered for the duration of the recording. This sometimes happens with live video too. What is causing this and is this normal?

(3) I hear the HD working inside it even when machine powered off (ie just shows time). Not loud noise but I can hear it.

Lastly, the reason I got the TW DVR was to try out a DVR and see if for me. I have digital cable and satellite not really an option for me. I noticed that stand-alone TIVO only has 1 tuner (another reason I am first trying out the TW DVR). Is there anyway around this (ie recording 2 shows at once or watching a live show while recording one with a stand-alone TIVO)?

Thanz

2. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I've had the Explorer 8000 for about 3 weeks, and I have also noticed the delay from the remote to the DVR. I knew about it before I got it from reading some of the other threads here, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I've just gotten used to it.

I haven't experienced the other problems you mentioned, so I can't speak about those. What I have noticed is that there is a marked difference in picture quality from the digital (premium) channels to the lower tier (local/basic) channels. And I have some questions about how much storage space the unit really has. I had to record a few things to VHS last night to free up some space for other programs because the drive was totally full.

As for being able to record 2 programs on TIVO, I don't think it's possible unless you use a splitter...which would result in a decrease in signal strangth and, therefore, a lower quality image. Hopefully, the next generation of TIVO DVRs will address that issue.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say about this unit. Overall, it's been great, but it could use some tweaking. I would really like to be able to output from the DVR to my PC so I can burn programs onto DVD. I hope they update the software soon to allow for that.

3. Jim-Sc

Jim-Sc Auditioning

1) The action of the remote on various menu items is slower, although I wouldn't say 5 seconds. Just a noticeable pause, rather than being instantaneous.

2) I have never seen this.

3) I notice this too. It doesn't seem to do it all the time. I wonder if it is rearranging things on the hard drive, or maybe defragmenting. Mostly I don't notice it because the unit is in a cabinet behind a door, but you can definitely hear it.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

6. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

I have the same delay issues, sometimes as much as 5 seconds but usually 2 or 3. But I am having a different problem and was wondering if anyone else is. I have several programs setup in Series Manager, but some have stopped working. Even though they are still setup correctly, they are not listed as Schedled Recordings on the day they are supposed to record, and they do not record. But these are shows that worked for weeks. I have to delete them from Series Manager and set them up again. Anyone else have these problems? Otherwise, I love my SA 8000!! Thanks!

Jeff

7. Jim Zanbehr

Jim Zanbehr Agent

With regard to your choppy recording I was wondering if you had digital cable before. I have TW digital cable and I've noticed this occassionally when watching regular programing. It always has cleared up again on its own but was very annoying in the middle of a favorite show. The signal will stutter or get choppy or have digital artifacts, sometimes longer than others. Sort of the digital equivalent of poor broadcast signal. It may simply be that you recorded a bad signal to start with. Just one possiblity.

8. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I have noticed is that there is a marked difference in picture quality from the digital (premium) channels to the lower tier (local/basic) channels.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you can fix it by using the svideo out of your box and into the TV. I used it and noticed a big improvement and virtually no difference between the digital channels and the anaolog ones.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm also new to TW Digital Cable and the SA DVR (had it for a week). So far I've underwhelmed by it. The picture quality is no better than, and sometimes worse, than analog cable (with SVHS conection). And DVR response time to remote functions is erratic, which is worse than being consistently slow. And I can't have both HD reception and the DVR. [​IMG]

I've got two questions. First, is there a way to schedule weekly recording schedules, as with a VCR? I want to record The West Wing every Wednesday at 9pm on NBC. My options, it seems, are to either record a single episode of TWW on one Wednesday night, or to record all TWW episodes, which includes about 4 sets of reruns on various stations. Is there a way to set a "normal" record pattern besides the all or one options?

Second, can the record quality be changed? The quality of the recording varies, sometimes appearing worse than my VHS VCR.

I'm disappointed to hear that TIVO can't display one channel while recording another. I was thinking about buying a TIVO to replace the TW DVR.

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Stephen -- Thanks for the helpful info. I naively expected that the digital cable was not just the digital encoding of the analog signals (for the analog stations), complete with video noise. [​IMG]

The TW tech support told me my area could see the HD 8000 as early as next month, but I'll believe when I see it.

I'm still trying trying to understand the behavior of the Explorer when setting recording patterns. I've seen one case where "All Episodes" when and grabbed every single rerun over all channels, and another case where it stuck to a specific time-frame on a certain channel. I need play some more.

I find I like the DVR but digital cable is of little interest, with its mediocre picture quality and lack of interesting extra channels.

I need to see if the DVR can be used without the digital cable subscription. Or maybe get a TIVO.

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

14. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

I don't know whether is is an option, but the DirecTivos have dual tuners. you can watch 1, record another, watch/record 1, record another or record both and watch an already saved program. I'm totally biased, but even the standalones are most likely are WAY better than the DVRs offered by cable companies.

15. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

I've had a Scientific Atlanta PVR from Time Warner for around 7 months now, and I've been more than happy with it. Other than the occasional minor issue (takes a while to change channels) that you can get used to, this thing is great. I've had discussions with my Tivo-owning workmates and they clearly are envious of some of the features I have (most notably the two separate tuners).

My favorite use for the PVR so far was during the baseball playoffs when I was routinely busy during night-time playoff games. No problem - I set the game to record (starting early) and paused the channel before I left. When I returned I unpaused it and FF'd it to the start of the game. (The only caveat is that after you start recording you need to flip to a different channel and then back before pausing it ... otherwise it "thinks" it is still using the live buffer [that only lasts an hour] instead of the recorded program buffer. Hope that makes sense!)

I'll be sure to get the HD-PVR as soon as it's available.

16. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator