What's new

Issues with number of speakers used displayed on Yamaha receiver (1 Viewer)

DEDAWID

Auditioning
Real Name
DWID
We have a Yamaha HTR-6130 AV receiver. When we first bought it, we had a regular TV, no digital, but when we played a DVD, it showed all 5 speakers being "used" on the receiver. Recently we bought a new digital TV and we also now have satelite with HD, but no matter what we play the receiver will only show 2 speakers being used. I even tried a DVD I KNOW played with 5 speakers before and it's also only showing 2 speakers used. This may be a repetative question, but we are so frustrated at why we used to have it and now we do not, any suggestions?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, more info...
Connections in use?
You switched sound modes? (dolby prologic always shows 5 speaker if the set-up is 5 speakers)
If I remember correctly (as I had the 5490 and 6080) DPL had both "tv/movie and music" settings.

DEDAWID

Auditioning
Real Name
DWID
I have switched sound mode and switched back and forth and on and on, I have used the digital optical cable, more then 1 hdmi cable and looked at the BLU RAY book, the TV book and the RECEIVER book, I think my brain is fried on what the heck to do, someone said that if you don't see 5 speakers, then what you are playing is not in 5.1, but I KNOW this movie I am watching is 5.1 - - I could go on and on and on with all we have done, I tried this forum just as another resort, I am sure that just "people" would be able to give me more ideas then we are getting at the stores we go to and ask about it - - thank you for responding :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The speaker display on the front panel doesn't show the speakers being used by the receiver, it shows the speakers being sent by the source player. If only two channels are showing up on the display then the receiver is only receiving two channels from the player, box, whatever. You say you bought a new tv. Most displays will only output a two channel stereo signal regardless of what it receives. As Sam already asked, we need to know exactly how, where, and with what cables you have everything hooked up. The model numbers of the display and dvd/br players would also be a big help so we can download the manuals. But if you hook all components to the receiver with a digital cable (doesn't matter which kind) for audio then you will get true 5.1 surround sound again if the settings in the players and receiver are correct. Don't hook any audio up to the display first and then to the receiver. It probably won't work right.
Hang in there. We'll help you through it.

DEDAWID

Auditioning
Real Name
DWID
my husband and I will pull the stuff out in the next couple of days and see exactly how and what is hooked up and where and I'll get back with you all and thanks again for trying to help

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just so everybody helping out on this receiver knows...
The HDMI is pass-through, so the audio comes off "other connections"...
I have a feeling what the problem is the DVD player reverted back to "stereo mode" and needs re-set for 5.1.
But we need to know what BD/DVD player this is. It is also, like mentioned above, to make sure the audio isn't going to the TV first, then back to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks