What's new

Isn't it refreshing to know who your enemies are? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yeah, I mean, it's not like he's being, you know, provoked or anything :rolleyes

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Martin chooses to antagonize me, Ricardo. I could ignore those certain antagonist aspects of his posts or I could address them by reacting. I, no matter how foolishly, choose to react. Naturally he's not going to like my retort because he doesn't want a response he doesn't agree with.

Martin is exhibiting classic enemy behavior. At least in this particular thread. Maybe if we were discussing a classic movie or a new 2 disc set in another thread and forum he wouldn't feel the need to cause friction by immaturely aggravating a specific issue he knows we disagree on.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This is a good one. You created a thread in a public forum and should be prepared to read comments that may not agree with or support your point of view; yet you accuse a responder of trying to create friction and of acting in an immature manner. If you were not prepared to deal with people who hold contrary opinions to your own on the subject, then you should not have created the thread.

Accusing someone of acting like an enemy because he is not telling you what you want to hear is not reasonable. Personal issue threads should be on the same list as political and religious threads, because people start getting angry when they don't get the response(s) that they want to hear.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Edwin, at the risk of being told to seek psych help when Martin gets back, I'll say this: There are ways of expressing disagreement without being insulting. There ARE people who've posted in this thread to tell Gary to rethink his choice, and they did so without telling him he has "issues" (the PC way to say "you're an asshole" in America, I've discovered).

We don't know exactly what actions on the part of his friends led Gary to his decision. Can't we just trust the guy's judgement?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

You've missed the point, Edwin. Maybe you should re-read this thread from the beginning. It's not that Martin and I disagree, it's that he chooses to repeatedly provoke me by including a comment or comments in this thread that are unrelated to the subject matter.

My initial post had nothing to do with Phantom Menace or Darth Maul. Hence, any comments pertaining to those things are unnecessary because they play no part in what I am discussing.

I am in no way suggesting that everyone should agree with me. If that were the case I'd start a thread saying that I'm perfect and anyone who disagrees is wrong and that's not what this is. Opinions are always welcome, whether they're contrary to what I believe or are similar. Thus Martin appears to be creating friction for friction's sake.

On a somewhat related note this reminds me of the conflict I have with this particular chick I mentioned. The way it got started is that she lied to me about something I directly asked her about. I confronted her about the lie and her reaction was to flip and start spewing profanities and basically act like a straight bitch. Why? Because I caught her in a lie and she couldn't handle that. Rather than do the proper thing which might entail apologizing she went for the mad dog approach and started foaming and fuming. That was the way she decided to handle the situation and as a result our friendship was terminated in an ugly manner. Ugly for her because in my book she went out like a sucker, not me. While I tried to maintain a civil level of communication she opted to shit on me. C'est la vie.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Gary, it sounds like you got some shitty people in your life and you are doing the right thing by cleansing yourself of them. It sounds like you are angry and bitter, but we all get that way from time to time, and without knowing all the details I'd never assume you're wrong to feel that way. Plus it's good to vent every now and then. I know I need to on occasion.

I got some major problems with my brother, it stems from the 20+ years we lived together growing up. For the most part he was an asshole to me. When people who don't know him find out how I feel, they're always trying to offer me advice, or tell me to forgive and forget. But the stuff he did has had a lasting, negative effect on my life. It would take hours and hours for me to explain to someone what he did to me, and still you'd have to observe it from my viewpoint for awhile before you saw the depth of it.

What I'm trying to say is, I know how it feels to be told by people that perhaps you're wrong to feel the way you do or say what you did when they don't have a clue as to what you've been through based on the little information they have been provided. You came here to vent and hopefully get some support from some like minded people, and there's no harm in that. I hope that things pick up for you, and I think they will. Good luck.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The question has to be asked: What kind of action has he taken? Has he actually approached the people he has had problems with and basically told them that he has no interest in maintaining the relationships? Or is he venting his frustrations in a fairly anonymous format without actually confronting the problem people in his life?

I'm not going to say that he needs to seek therapy because that just seems to be the cliche answer that is automatically advanced when issues of this sort are publicly posted.

I haven't read the entire thread, but sometimes I get the feeling that he has decided to post about the situation in order to gain some kind of grassroot support for his position. If the issue is that important then he should be talking to the people he has problems with, rather than vent to people who can in no way help to solve the issue at hand.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

If I were female and reading that post, I would take serious offense at this (hopefully unintentionally) callous and womanizing remark.:frowning:

You might want to re-phrase this - I can't believe you meant it to come out that way...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay. Disregard the comment in my last post about whether you have actually approached the problem people or person directly. I was writing that post while you made yours. I can see from that post that you did approach the person.

It is too bad that the situation turned out badly, but like you said "C'est la vie." Unfortunately, that is life but it seems like you are having trouble actually letting go of the situation. It definitely must rankle, but it sounds like you are better off without her in your life. Now all you have to do is try to jettison the rest of the baggage and really believe in the motto you used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks