What's new

Isn't it funny how everyone claim a defective DVD because THEIR player won't play it! (1 Viewer)

SvenS

Second Unit
I find it ammusing how all these people start threads about a DVD being defective just because it won't play on THEIR DVD player. I think people need to find out if the vast majority of DVD players can not play a particular DVD before making these claims. It almost always is a DVD players fault and NOT the DVD itself's fault for most of these problems.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
How is anyone supposed to find out if others are having problems unless they post? Just curious...

Anyway, like most people, if I come across a disc that has problems or won't play at all I automatically assume that it is a defective disc. This is based simply on the fact that in the entire 4 years I've owned my player it has refused to submit to my will on only two occassions -- one was The Matrix and ended up being DVD-rot; the other was Dario Argento's Opera and was indeed a defective disc.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Sometimes the combination of a certain disc and a certain player doesn't work.

Does that make it a problem with the disc or a problem with the player? (So-called "rhetorical question" - I'm not really expecting a simple answer.)

SvenS

Second Unit
How is anyone supposed to find out if others are having problems unless they post? Just curious...
By posting that you are having problems with DVD "X" and is anyone else having a similar problem. Not jumping to the conclusion that the DVD is defective right off the bat!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, look at it this way. If I go out and buy a player with the DVD logo on it, this means that it should conform to the DVD Spec. If I buy a disc with the DVD logo on it, that means that IT should conform to spec as well. Therefore, if I buy a DVD that doesn't play in my player-something is wrong. You're right that it's probably the player and not the disc mastering that's at fault, but shouldn't these problems really be eliminated by now? I know that the DVD specifications are long, but I'd hope that by this point (fourth or fifth gen players now?) problems should have disappeared.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
SvenS

I easily jump to DVD being the problem almost instantly. Out of the 500 movies that play flawlessly on my machine, if the "new Hollywood blockbuster" movie wont play on my machine, its got to be the disc. Hmmm, everything else works fine..........

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the "new Hollywood blockbuster" has a feature that is barely in-spec... for instance fading subtitles had problems with some players on TPM.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
That's about as funny as a DVD that won't play on three DVD players, four desktops and two laptops ...and it used to play just fine a year ago and you've only watched it once.

Or, you finally buy that movie that you absolutely love after waiting and waiting to buy on DVD in hopes that they would release a special edition and the day you buy it, they announce plans for that special edition, with anamorphic enhancement, restoration, new print, dts etc...

There's a Mad magazine theme in here somewhere. Something like "this is what you imagined and this is what you get".

...how did that go?

Good post! I know what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks