What's new

ISIS Coming!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from TVShowsonDVD

i saw the headline and got so excited i never read the body copy- unfortunately there is no date or firm announcement as to content or anything else, but the property IS specifically mentioned in BCIs press release, so that's a good step in the right direction.

if this property does get released this year, with good a/v quality, i'm going to be thru the roof.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, glad to see the info officially announced. I've known about BCI's plans for about a week or so from an off-the-record source, but glad to see it's now pubic knowledge.

I will say that the people at BCI are very enthusiastic about the property and I'm sure they are going to try their best to make this release as good as it can be!

If you're a fan of the Filmation shows, please take a minute to take my poll that I created last week for people to vote on which Filmation live-action shows they want to see released. I intend to send the results to the folks at BCI so that they can determine fan interest in the rest of the live-action library.

Yes, I know that Shazam! is owned by WB and, thus, isn't part of BCI's home video rights, but if enough interest is shown, maybe WB will get into the act and put it out or if they're not interested, perhaps they could licence it to BCI.

Be sure to check out my Isis fan site if you're a fan and never been there before. Lots of goodies for the enthusiast!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Last year I met the actress who played Isis at a convention. She had a petition at her table asking for the show to be released on dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it's released this year. I love this show, it screams 70's. It's both fun, and meaningful. I think it deserves the same treatment as the He-Man releases. If that is the case, I can definately wait.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Owned by Warner, since DC Comics owns the character. We had already heard that Warner had some interest in releasing the show, but nothing firm enough for even a "rumor" news posting. But we have tried to get the studios to talk to each other about cross-licensing the characters and episodes so that the "crossover" episodes can be shared equally across both studios' releases. It makes sense and is equally beneficial to both shows/studios, as it helps one advertise the other.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

Yes, JoAnna is very cool and caring,
and so is Jackson!
If anyone from BCI reads this forum we appreciate you releasing these great old filmation shows, so please, please BCI release Isis and Shazam!!!
You guys at BCI are doing a great job keep it up!!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
YES! I remember watching this show when I was a youngster and I abolutely loved this series. I can't wait for this series to be released.:D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

As I said in the post above yours, Randy, Shazam! is owned by Warner.

BCI cannot release Shazam!, because Warner owns it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well if Warner was able to work a deal with Viacom and the Salkind's to release Superboy..another rights nightmare. Then hopefully, they can work out a deal here.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

????????

There is no "rights nightmare" here: Entertainment Rights owns all 22 episodes of Isis outright, including the three that guest-star Captain Marvel. Warner Bros. owns all 28 episodes of Shazam, including the three that guest-star Isis. This was confirmed via telephone when I spoke with Jeff at BCI, and is what I always suspected. If WB didn't own all 28 Shazams, then how would they have gotten clearance to run two of the ones with Isis on TV Land a couple years back, and how would Hallmark have been able to clear those Isis episodes for foreign syndication all those years back.

If you're referring to David's post above about rights-sharing, I think he was suggesting that WB should "let" BCI have the three Shazam episodes with Isis to use as extras on the Isis set, to help cross-promote a supposed Shazam set, and that BCI/ER should allow WB to, in return, place the three Isis episodes featuring Captain Marvel on their set. All of this is the spirit of "free advertising." His post never suggested to me that there would be any problem with BCI releasing any of the Isis just because three of them featured Captain Marvel.

Again, rest assured: ER holds the right to all 22 episodes of Isis. If you want any Shazam released, then shout at Warner Bros. to either release it themselves or to licence it to someone else (like BCI).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Andy, I mis-wrote what I meant. I didn't mean to say rights problem. More to the fact that if Warner could work a deal with Superboy...this should be easy to work a cross-promotion or something that would allow BCI to release the Shazam w/Isis episodes.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Funny thing...
When I read that news item about Isis on TVShowsOnDVD.com... only a very small part of me gave me the feeling I knew this show... but hey... that was a long time ago.

So... I search the net for it... and the memories started to come back to me... cool!... then I found some video clips of like the opening sequence... and some random clips from the show. This is where I goofed... watched the clips in front of my daughter (10yrs old)... she saw the clips... now (even though I was really considering the purchase)... I have no choice but to get this series! Brittany comes out with... Ohhh! Daddy! That looks so good!... You have to get that one! LOL

So my choice was made for me! :p) To be safe I did explain to her that it is not definitely coming out yet. figured I better as only thing that happened so far is the rights where acquired.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Was this thing shot on 16mm? I remember even in the 70s the prints didn't look so good. It was the same on Shazam, ArkII and a zillion other shows of this period. I wonder if a dvd would even look very good....

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

It all depends on the state of the masters. The sad thing is, though, it is believed that when Hallmark transferred all their 16mm films to digital format back in the early '90s for worldwide syndication, they only converted them in the PAL format, as they had no intention of North American syndication. What makes this bad is that after converting to digital (PAL) tape, they supposedly junked most (if not all) of the original 16mm prints.

This probalby accounts for why Entertainment Rights supplied Urbanworks with PAL masters of Fat Albert as that might be all that they hold, though that doesn't explain how Time-Life had 16mm source prints. Of course, Fat Albert was also distributed in the US throughout the 1980s on TV and home video, so better NTSC-native masters likely exist in the case of that show, whether or not Entertainment Rights ever possessed those masters.

As for Isis, Ark II and the rest, which haven't been shown in this country since the CBS airings, the original film prints might not exist any longer.

I have off-air PAL recordings circa 1998 from the Sci-Fi Channel in the UK of Isis, Space Academy and Ark II. They look on about the same quality level as the TV Land airings of Shazam.

Still far better than the nth-generation bootlegs that have been floating around the collectors' circuit for years, though.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Ark II. Sadly, the guy who was the lead actor for the show dies last year. So any input he might have given is now lost. :frowning:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ArkII lives on, however! Did you know that? The ark is parked alongside a shop in Hollywood, near the Hollywood bowl, and is very, very visible from the freeway. People always drive by and say what the hell is that thing?? At the moment it is painted desert-brown because it was used in an el cheapo sci-fi film. I have also seen it painted as jungle camouflage and other colors. It's been sitting there next to that shop since the late 70s and is frequently rented for use in other movies.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure it is the Ark? The reason I ask is that people often confuse the Ark with a similar vehicle that was designed for the film Damnation Alley. The Alley craft has been used in several other productions. Many people confuse the two craft (or erroneously think that one is a re-fit of the other).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks