What's new

ISF's and Other experts: why is the mits so grainy? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

My boss and I were in the market to get a RPTV, and he decided to take the plunge and get the mits 65411...I was about to get one as well, but after looking at his, I am holding out a bit longer:rolleyes:

The set looked a bit grainy, and this was running on a Progressive DVD (albeit a cheap one I admit). I was very surprised that it was that bad. IS this normal? should I expect this kinda quality out of RPTV's? I have seen some sets that looks just amazing, and I have seen the mits xx511 and it was great when I saw it a few weeks back, but this is not what I was expecting. Should he get an ISF now, or wait a little until the TV breaks in a little?

Which leads me to look into perhaps a better set:

Pioneer Elite 530HD. I know it's a lot more money, but I wonder if it is worth the price?! I am stuck now! PLEASE HELP!

do I get the mits, and get an ISF to calibrate it, or do I cough up the extra $$ and get the Pioneer elite? is there another alternative?

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I have a Mits 42311 and the pq on cable is very grainy but I feel that this is to be expected. If you take a bad image and make it bigger, it will only magnify the faults. On then other hand, the pq with my progressive scan DVD (Panny XP30) is absolutely stunning. We watched "A Beautiful Mind" the other night and picture was absolutely smooth, and detailed. There was a shot where John Nash was talking with his wife to be and she was slightly back-lit. You could actually see the fine hairs on the back of her neck in perfect detail. The blacks were like India ink and the shadow detail was remarkable.

I suspect that you were looking at an uncalibrated set with a poor source signal.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
What was the DVD? The quality of DVDs varies dramatically.

Also, what Jim said. On a 65" set, you'll see every flaw in the source material if you sit too close.

There are plenty of happy Mits owners out there.

Jan

I don't think it was the DVD per say...we watched Shrek and T2 ultimate edition. The progessive scan DVD player was a very cheap one, but still...

I still believe mits is a very good buy, and still considering getting it, but I wonder if the elite 530hd is worth the extra $$$

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'll say this...

Mitsubishis are not known for a "grainy" image...quite the opposite (a smooth accurate picture once you get the red out). What is probably going on is a combination of factors.

1) Sharpness set incorrectly along with contrast and brightness. Sharpness should be set in the middle, use a calibration disk for the others
2) SVM is probably enabled, adding some grain
3) Source material - many DVDs are grainy

Hope that helps. As to the mits or pioneer - they're both very fine sets.

-edit- what I mean to say is give me 30 seconds with any TV and I can make it look grainy :) Shrek however is a very nice transfer and has no grain.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
I was just working on a friend's HT system. He's got a Mits 65" Diamond RPTV and a Sony progressive scan DVD player. The image was terrible.

The video signal was going from the DVD player to his receiver, then to the RPTV. Using el-cheapo S-vid cables. (the installers were connected with or from GG, I believe)

We dropped in some quality component video cables (from www.bluejeanscable.com) and ran them straight from the DVD player to the RPTV.

What a difference in image quality. The Svid hookup was still there--so we could go back and forth between the inputs. The component input had more intense colors, much wider color gamut, smoother image, greater detail, etc. (we did tweak each input's settings to try and get the best possible image)

The point here being that if your friend doesn't have everything set up correctly (the right cables, inputs, AVIA tweaks, etc.)--the image can be pretty crappy. With everything setup correctly you should be impressed when you hit Play on a DVD.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
My brother has a 55411 and I have the 55511. His TV is SOOOOOOO far off in the convergence, color, and focus departments that I have volunteered my service. My tv, however was a lot closer to acceptable. The factory sets each TV and the guy might have been a bit hung-over in your case. Research tweaks on the net and get cracking

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The set looked a bit grainy, and this was running on a Progressive DVD (albeit a cheap one I admit).
Are you sure you were watching the machine's progressive output? Just because it's a p/s player doesn't necessarily mean that the store has connected it properly, especially if they have it plugged into a switcher that's feeding other sets.

M.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Shervin,
I agree with what most people are posting here. Grainy picture depends on several factors:
1. Adjustment of your settings (tweaking, that includes SVM)
2. Source material (meaning your DVD player and movie)
3. Hook up (what kind of connection and quality of cables, are they near a power source or running along a power cable, etc)
4. And finally (which is my 2 cents), grainy picture is a characteristic of the CRT. All CRT present this grainy, on some is very visible and on some not at all. You could have two identical TV models, with same video source and connections, tweaking as much as you can, and still on one of them you will be able to see more grainy picture that the other.
My advice is to tweak as much as you can your TV, play with brightess and contrast, since these are the adjusment that most affect grainy picture. You could sacrifice a little bit of brigthness over less grainy picture. Hope that helps.

Hugo

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I forgot to mention, this grainy characteristic affects all CRT's used by all the RPTV, not just mitsubishi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks