What's new

Is U2 - Pop Mart Tour coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have any idea if this title is due for release at all. I went to the concert when it was here in Melbourne and have the VHS copy from Mexico, but I heard that it was getting released on DVD shortly... Anybody know for sure?
(sorry if this is the wrong area to post this!?!)
------------------

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Gary, the one being released to DVD soon is the Elevation Tour filmed in Boston.
Unless I missed something, this disc remains in the "rumor" stage. There's been some discussion about it but nothing formally announced. It's also not totally certain that anything would come from the Boston shows - I seem to recall some hubbub that these weren't the best and they might use something else.
I hope a DVD hits streets before the end of the year, but I'm always pessimistic about music titles. Too many take forever to materialize, such as the Springsteen one that allegedly was going to come out in June and has been pushed back about a million times. Heck, PopMart and the U2 video anthology were actually formally announced to be released around the start of the current tour, but obviously they never actually materialized. Of course, ZooTV was supposed to come out back in 1997, but it remains in limbo.
While I'd like to get Pop Mart - a show that I thought was radically underrated - it'll always be a disappointment to me because they dropped "Miami" from most of the third leg - and later - of the tour. While the show was solid as a whole, that four song set of "Miami", "Bullet the Blue Sky", "Please" and "Where the Streets..." was electrifying. Once they dropped "Miami", it didn't work as well. Unfortunately, that's the show found on the Mexico City release. I'd love to get a high-quality full show from earlier in the tour - especially if it came from a concert at which they still used the blasts during "Discotheque"...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that guys. I found the site where I heard about the DVD release of PopMart. It was a chat transcript from a rep from Universal at an Aussie dvd site. The date was 27/3 this year. Here is what was said.
Universal (7:09:36 PM)
U2 DVD's planned for release are Popmart and Best Of - both do not yet have confirmed release dates, but will
hopefully come out by the end of the year
Peter (7:10:08 PM)
Popmart goes off. Wicked. Will it have film clips too?
Universal (7:10:16 PM)
INXS should have a comnbination of both clips and live footage, but is still being finalised
Hicks (7:10:42 PM)
Thank you. Really helpful and another must for the collection
Universal (7:10:58 PM)
at this stage the features of Popmart are still being finalised
So it looks as if they are at least working on it, or have it in the pipelines. The INXS dvd mentioned was the Live baby Live which ended up being exactly the same footage from the VHS release. (Which is excellent by the way).
Gary
------------------
I hate living in R4........
  • More Expensive HT equiptment
  • DVD titles released 12 months after R1

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well...I was not aware of Zoo TV or PopMart being planned and not executed for DVD. U2's website quotes Edge as saying that the Elevation DVD will be out by the end of the year, and that they filmed the Boston shows specifically for this. I didn't know that they felt the Boston performances were not up to par.
BTW, if this does make it to DVD, I just want to be able to skip past the song "New York." I don't care for the song and when I saw the show, the odd visuals made it VERY difficult to follow along! However, this is coming from a guy who worked 12 hours the night before, slept 2 hours, drove 4 hours and then watched the concert. At that point my attention span wasn't much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks