What's new

Is Treasure Island unedited? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have word whether or not the unedited print of Treasure Island was used for the new dvd or if it is the 1975 edited version?

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I hope "fully restored" means the beautiful restoration that has aired on the Disney Channel in the past (or something better!); the 1993 "Studio Collection" video was uncut...but sourced from a horrible, dark, grainy 16mm print...:rolleyes

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Good to hear it's uncut, but I was under the impression that this would be a "Vault Disney" title, with some appropriate features. According to early reviews, though, it's completely barebones.

Oh, well. At least the film will be available.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This DVD looks gorgeous. There are no extras, but the 96 minute film is still spread over two layers. There are signs of wear and tear on the print (especially on the first reel - and not just during the titles), but the colors and contrast levels are rock solid. It looks to be a straight transfer of a good film element, probably a fair representation of a high quality preservation element with minimal video processing applied. The superbits++ video bitrate ensures there are no compression artifacts as well. I would not be put off by the lack of extras when an opportunity exists to own a first rate transfer of a Freddie Young shot Technicolor classic film on DVD.

I would rather they just present the mono soundtrack rather than the 5.1 track that is the sole option here, but the "stereo" processing is mild and not overly distracting.

Regards,

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A lot of the dark scenes (day shot for night) are a little murkey but overall very nice for its age. Some of the daylight closeups look strikingly sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks