What's new

Is this typical for room gain? (1 Viewer)

Dan_M

Agent
I used the test tones at the end of a test cd called Bass Mechanik to generate my data, is this ok or would it be better to generate my own? I've heard the term bass trap around here before, what exactly is this?

Dan_M

Agent
I used the test tones at the end of a test cd called Bass Mechanik to generate my data, is this ok or would it be better to generate my own? I've heard the term bass trap around here before, what exactly is this?

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
graph

Here is Dan's plot. Sorry I don't have time right now to answer the Bass trap question. Do a seach and there will be tones of info. The tones you used should be fine.

Another question about the plot, those are corrected values right?

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
graph

Here is Dan's plot. Sorry I don't have time right now to answer the Bass trap question. Do a seach and there will be tones of info. The tones you used should be fine.

Another question about the plot, those are corrected values right?

Dan_M

Agent
I totally spaced adding in the corrections. I replaced the old graph with a new version that I used my own test tones and corrected values. Oddly the peak looks like it shifted to 50-60hz. I'm not sure why this would happen, everything besides the tones is the same.

Dan_M

Agent
I totally spaced adding in the corrections. I replaced the old graph with a new version that I used my own test tones and corrected values. Oddly the peak looks like it shifted to 50-60hz. I'm not sure why this would happen, everything besides the tones is the same.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
The first thing that jumps out at me from the plot is the 65-200Hz region. It is really ragged and so much lower then 65Hz and lower. Do you run the sub fairly hot? This is with the mains on, right?

If you do run your sub hot and the mains are on then it looks like you may be able to dial in a pretty go house curve. You asked if flat sound best and most would say it is a little to bland, a house curve(flat rising response) is the perfect solution.

Maybe Wayne will jump in here and confirm that I am on the right track.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
The first thing that jumps out at me from the plot is the 65-200Hz region. It is really ragged and so much lower then 65Hz and lower. Do you run the sub fairly hot? This is with the mains on, right?

If you do run your sub hot and the mains are on then it looks like you may be able to dial in a pretty go house curve. You asked if flat sound best and most would say it is a little to bland, a house curve(flat rising response) is the perfect solution.

Maybe Wayne will jump in here and confirm that I am on the right track.

Dan_M

Agent
I uploaded a new version of my graph. All measurements have been taken with the mains on. I noticed the jagged response after 60hz also. The new graph shows what happened when I turned the reciever xover up to 100hz and flipped the phase switch on the subs amp. Now it looks like I have a slightly less jagged response after a cliff at 60hz, a little more fiddling with the subs xover might smooth this out even more. I'm guessing the jagged part is from an interaction between my sub and the mains. I calibrated it with the mains in surround mode, but took my frequency response measurements in stereo. I'll have some time tomorrow to take more readings to see if this is making a difference also.

Dan_M

Agent
I uploaded a new version of my graph. All measurements have been taken with the mains on. I noticed the jagged response after 60hz also. The new graph shows what happened when I turned the reciever xover up to 100hz and flipped the phase switch on the subs amp. Now it looks like I have a slightly less jagged response after a cliff at 60hz, a little more fiddling with the subs xover might smooth this out even more. I'm guessing the jagged part is from an interaction between my sub and the mains. I calibrated it with the mains in surround mode, but took my frequency response measurements in stereo. I'll have some time tomorrow to take more readings to see if this is making a difference also.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

That is fine.

That region does look better.

You are still a good 10DB up below 80Hz. Did you calibrate even with the mains or are you running hot?

Turning down the gain may even things out even more.

You may find once you smooth it out that you can localize the sub with the 100Hz crossover, especialy with it behind you. I would suggest sticking with 80 and below. Of course that is only a seggestion. If it sounds fine a 100Hz by all means leave it there. A crossover around 60 may help smooth out that hump. For the record we are talking about the receiver's crossover not the one on the plate amp. That one should be at the highest setting.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

That is fine.

That region does look better.

You are still a good 10DB up below 80Hz. Did you calibrate even with the mains or are you running hot?

Turning down the gain may even things out even more.

You may find once you smooth it out that you can localize the sub with the 100Hz crossover, especialy with it behind you. I would suggest sticking with 80 and below. Of course that is only a seggestion. If it sounds fine a 100Hz by all means leave it there. A crossover around 60 may help smooth out that hump. For the record we are talking about the receiver's crossover not the one on the plate amp. That one should be at the highest setting.

Dan_M

Agent
All calibration and measurement was taken with the mains turned on and set to small. I turned the sub down a bit more, so the hump isn't nearly as high. My reciever only goes down to 80hz for the crossover, so I'm kinda limited there. The dip at 125hz is back though since I turned the crossover back down to 80hz, apparently this is an issue with my mains not the sub. I'd rather take the hit in frequency response rather than increased localization. If I could move it up front with my mains I may go back to 100hz.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it now. I'm not going to get too hung up with a few dips, I think it sounds great when watching movies.

Dan_M

Agent
All calibration and measurement was taken with the mains turned on and set to small. I turned the sub down a bit more, so the hump isn't nearly as high. My reciever only goes down to 80hz for the crossover, so I'm kinda limited there. The dip at 125hz is back though since I turned the crossover back down to 80hz, apparently this is an issue with my mains not the sub. I'd rather take the hit in frequency response rather than increased localization. If I could move it up front with my mains I may go back to 100hz.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it now. I'm not going to get too hung up with a few dips, I think it sounds great when watching movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks