Is this the end of the Jetson's dream?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph S, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

While watching "The Fifth Element" the other night, I was wondering if the dream of owning a personalized flying vehicle is now officially over.
    If we were to utilize non-combustible fuels or fuel cells, would there still hope? I really would like to be free of roads sometime in my lifetime or the next one. [​IMG]
    I know someone here was working on a hovercraft so somebody has to know a lot more than I do on this subject. Does anyone know if this is even a planned possibility? Hopefully development will continue.

2. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Single Passenger vehicles won't do too much damage, would they?
    Besides, hopefully, that far in the future, evil people will be eradicated from earth, and we would have made First Contact.
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Supporting Actor

Check out this link guys. It is coming sooner than you think. You wouldn't pilot this vehicle though it will be remotely controlled via GPS. They say the first bunch will cost about a million dollars but when they can mass produce them they should fall to about the price of a luxury sedan.
    http://www.moller.com/

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    So now I just have to get through the rest of med school and residency, pay off $150 grand in student loans and buy a house. Then the next million definitely has to go for this thing. [​IMG] That is one impressive looking vehicle.
    Thanks for the link.

5. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

About six years ago I met a guy who built his own small hovercraft. He did it quite cheap, but like Tucker, by the time it got ramped up for production it would be five times more expensive.
    I sell real estate and it fired my imagination. I have visions of communities where streets are grass and limited to the hovercraft. You might still need a car to drive to other towns or into the main city, but many New Yorkers live their life without a car. When you look at the cost of putting in roads, and the cost of land, the trade off might be affordable.
    Harry Dent in his book THE GREAT BOOM AHEAD and THE ROARING 2000'S predicts the next move will be to the exurbs.
    PBS had a series about 20 years ago on the synergistic effect new technology had on spuring further inventions and on society. The car has done more to change our society than another invention over the last 100 years. More than planes, computers, etc. The internet may be the next "printing press" type revolution, but you change the way we move, commute and you will change human behavior like no other invention.
    I would like info on the guy mentioned above and his hovercraft.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Ashley, make sure you put in bike paths and walking trails, shouldn't limit the HPV (human powered vehicles) crowds like bikers, in-line skates, skateboards, etc. [​IMG]
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

8. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

I've got 2 words for you: Quantum Teleportation
    I see this becoming practical long before we all have any type of personal vehicle that can travel in the air. Take a look around at the number of threads on this forum devoted to car crashes, crazy drivers, hit and runs, etc and imagine adding another dimension to your travel experiences. "I swear officer, I signaled my vertical lane change. I didn't realize this portion of the sky was under construction!" [​IMG]
    Of course, teleportation adds several dimensions, but hey, what are the odds of colliding with someone when you're flying through the air after having been broken down by a computer that exists simultaneously in multiple parallel universes? But alas, I digress...
    [Edited last by Chris Wittry on October 11, 2001 at 11:13 PM]