What's new

Is this possible? (wireless networking) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Could I have a pretty much completely wireless network?
I would still have a 10/100 switch that is plugged into the server, but then I would plug in a couple of Wireless Access Points into the switch, and then throw a few more Wireless Access Points in various spots in the building. Would that work? I believe each Wireless Access Point will act as a repeater? The building isn't very big, maybe 150 feet by 150 feet at the very most.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
It'll work fine.

Make sure the APs that you buy will support this. The Linksys one will allow you to configure it as a client, which is what you want. It's what I'll be doing to add wireless to my home theater soon.

Apple's will not. Not sure about other vendors.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
You might also consider access points that support roaming so the the signal can be passed off between access points.

Also, it is very hard to secure a wireless network. If there is any sensitive data on the remote computers or on the server, then security should be your top concern. The only way I would do it is seperating the "wired" and "wireless" portions of the network and use VPN on the remote machines to access the "wired" network. That's just my opinion. You'd be surprised though, how quickly a hacker can hack into a wireless network even if they are sitting in their car in the parking lot. I've even heard of people using directional antenaes to hack into networks from miles away. Wireless is a very cool technology but also not very well understood.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Buzz, I happen to have a Linksys PCI/PCMCIA adapter for a wireless card. Do you want it? I can't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks