What's new

Is This Cable Okay for PCM Audio? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I want to connect a pro audio interface (S/PDIF connector) to an Outlaw Audio 900's PCM ("coax") audio input. To my knowledge, these are compatible digital audio standards, right?

More importantly, I must make this connection between rooms with pre-existing wiring. Is this cable compatible with PCM audio:

Cable: Liberty Interflex 75 ohm Z-300 video cable @ ~50 ft.

The cable is unfinished on both ends. I've got some high-quality (gold contacts) Stinger RCA analog audio connectors that look like they'll fit this cable nicely. My only question is whether or not these will provide sufficient shielding for digital audio.

The rest is pretty straightforward:

Wall Plate: Leviton QuickPort 4-Port plate
Plate Connectors: Leviton QuickPort RCA Speaker Jack
LV40830B

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

G-Zim

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
anything that meets the general conditions of an "RCA cable" (meaning 75 ohm, will pass the signal, end of debate) will work for S/PDIF coax, don't let manufacturers push you into buying a $5000 "digital coaxial" cable based on some psuedoscientific diatribe about magnetic flux or whatever else

regarding "pro audio interface", if it says S/PDIF, and not AES/EBU, it should be compatable with anything else labeled S/PDIF, however, ensure that both sides have a common ground data-path wise (For example, if the source end is going to be outputting 24-bit data, the receiver needs to be capable of making use of 24-bit data)

50ft shouldn't be a problem length wise, and interference won't be an issue in *normal* conditions (i.e: you're using shielded cable to begin with, so unless this thing is getting wrapped around a microwave oven or run near something equally noisy, I wouldn't begin to worry, and even if you are going near some noise makers, I would only worry if you actually have problems after installing it (ok, worst case scenario, you terminate your 50' length, it doesnt work for this, and you've got a nice 50' RCA cable, or you snap the ends off, and make new cables from it, losing about 4" in the process)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks