Is this a pirated DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg Lovern, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

I bought a copy of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow from an Amazon.com private seller, and I suspect it may be a pirated copy. How can I be sure?

Here's what makes me suspect it's pirated:
    -- On the back (data side) of the disk, the inner and outer rings are purple. Doesn't that indicate a consumer write-once DVD, not an industrial pressed DVD?
    -- The jacket, and the printed side of the DVD, have a soft, and very subtly pixelated look, that looks to me like it could be done by a very high quality consumer ink-jet printer. They don't have the more crisp, printed look that most DVDs have.
    -- All four borders of the jacket are micro-perforated.
    -- The plastic case looks very cheap compared to most, and it's warped. Seems weird for a major studio like Paramount.

Any thoughts? Is this DVD pirated?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Probably. And this thread doesn't belong in the Movies forum.

M.

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Yep, it's a boot.

4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Shopping the used section of Amazon.com now requires one to have one's B.S. detector working at full power. [​IMG]

It's amazing how ballsy the bootleggers are getting.

5. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

If the cover has a very soft and subtly pixelated look to it, then it wasn't done by -- as you stated -- a very high quality consumer ink jet printer. If it looks pixelated, it wasn't done by a very high quality anything. I print original DVD covers for original DVDs using an ink jet printer and you can't tell the difference from a professional studio one and the ones I print at home.

But yes, it's a bootleg, and not a very good one at that.

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I have sold 18 things on ebay including 4 DVD's, I always guaranteed that my auctions were not pirated or burned copies, i suggest searching out those types of sellers on ebay or amazon.

7. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

Did you report this to Amazon? They must have a policy against pirated copies. I know Ebay does. The seller should be prevented from selling anything in the future.

8. Zack_H

Zack_H Extra

Purple is a copy. Retail dvds are either silver or gold.

9. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

If the data side is purple, that is all the proof you need that it's a bootleg. No professional, store bought DVDs have purple sides. Most likely, the movies been COMPRESSED to fit that single layer as well, resulting in a movie that looks hideous on a large screen, High Definition set.

10. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

I purchased a DVD off of Ebay a few months back that turned out to be a pirated copy. I reported to Ebay and they suspended the sellers account right away. I also reported it to the manufacturer and they never even returned a phone call or e-mail regarding it. I was very surprised they don't treat it more seriously but I guess it's all based on scale, a couple of DVD's on Ebay versus a few thousand or more in the far east.