What's new

Is this a good idea? (1 Viewer)

RobertHO

Grip
After about a year of reading reviews on this and other forums and websites, and after listening to them myself, I have finally purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's. (don't have them yet) :frowning:

I was wondering if it's a good idea to biwire/biamp the 40's using the "Speaker B" outputs on my Onkyo TX-DS595.

So when I'm in stereo mode with both speakers A and B engaged I should be biamping the 40's?

Of course this would only work in Stereo and Direct mode.

Has anybody tried this?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Studio 40s with this receiver sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I would HIGHLY recommend you not try to biamp in the way you are saying, because 1) It won't gain you anything by doing this since it is the same amp, and 2) this will create a condition in which the speakers can easily be driven to distortion and fry the tweeters in short order.

No offense, but I don't feel the 595 has enough power to adequately drive the 40s. I would strongly recommend external amplification.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
A and B speakers are never meant to be run at the same time. You are taking the amp and splitting the power, giving each only half the power. At half the power, clipping and distortion will occur even sooner.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
A and B Speaker terminals will not work at the same time on
any of Onkyo's Recievers. And even if you could use A and B
at the same time, chances are the internal amps would fry.

Onkyo's Receivers sound great, but thier amplifier section
is weak. I use my 787 as a pre/pro and I drive the speakers
with an Onkyo M-282 2 channel Power Amp and it sounds loads
better, but there again it lacks the guts of other companies
amps..

Only only rates thier amps to 6 Ohm, anything less and they
will void the warranty!

RobertHO

Grip
John,

I guess I don't know how the amps on the Onkyo work. I assumed all channels will be putting out their rated 85 watts, so if I wire my speakers as I descibed above, the 40's would effectively be getting 170 watts total. (max)

Or maybe I just don't understand biamping and biwiring?

Can anybody else give me a opinion or explanation why this wouldn't work?

RobertHO

Grip
Okay Thanks guys, my last post was before your explanations. Thanks for the info.

BTW I a newbie:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks