What's new

is this a good dvd/cd player? (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
iam also thinking about this one.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=11
I think it is the newer model but not sure. Which one would you buy? or is there a different one on www.futureshop.ca that you would consider instead? Also it will probably be more 80% music 20% DVDS. Also just another question if I use an optical cable to get it to my reciever will I still be able to use a different video channel on the reciever, and still just hear the music from the cd player will watching something from another source? BTW i can right now but it is analog

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
K thanks so you think if i went with this I would be fine? Also can someone handle my audio question?

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
all I need to know now is if I get a dvd/cd player and use the optical output can I still get the video image from the reciever but be playing cd sound instead?

Peter_Woo

Agent
If I understand correctly, you want to listen a CD while you are watching DVD image on TV using the same player? If that is the case, then it might not be possible for 2 reasons:
1. Your DVD/CD player will not be able to play 2 discs at once. (Only one disc at a time)
2. Unless you have multi-source function on your receiver, your receiver might not be able to process two input at the same time.

As far as using the optical output on the DVD player, it will get you digital sound for music and 5.1 for DVD but it should have anything to do with playing multiple signals.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I meant like if I was playing gamecube (which I got plugged into the reciever) could I listen to a cd from the player, and still get the gamecube image? I can right now but it is only analog but if i got this would it be digital? Also what do you think of that pioneer?

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
So were would I put the optical cable? The reciever says to just get the sound it has to be phono or cd

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Reid- what receiver do you have? Assuming it's a pretty recent model it has opticla inputs. The optical cable from your DVD player would go in the TOSlink input on your receiver. There should be a diagram of inputs in your receiver's directions.

As for the player if you don't need progressive scan (most people don't) I'd go for this one. The RV32k plays mp3s, wma, and the usual plethora of video cd variations. I've always preferred Pana's over Toshiba but you can't really go wrong with either.

Jason Pugh

Agent
I personally would go with the new Panasonic DVD S35 (although I've found a funky problem using Prog Scan and the Avia disk during one of the video test with the lines). Both the Toshiba and the Pioneer have the Chroma bug and sometimes it is very noticable, depending on the movie and how big your TV is. I have a 58" TV so the Chroma Bug stands out very badly.

As far as your situation with your game system goes, it doesn't matter which DVD player you get. Any DVD player will have multiple outputs (at least optical and regular analog) and it is up to you on how you want to wire it. You can have the DVD going to the DVD IN audio and the GC going to the CD IN or something like that and simply switch the receiver to DVD when you want to hear the DVD player music and back to CD when you want to hear your GC. The way to route this is endless and so YES it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks