What's new

Is there any way to make a mock webpage? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Here is what I mean. As a prank I want to take an existing web page like "Crime library" and put a photo of my friend on the main page along with a description of what he did.

I can change the photo, I've figured out that much. (Save page as > web page complete. Go into the folder and change the jpg.) But I can't change the existing text. Any ideas?

I've tried saving the page every which way but I can't seem to figure out how to change the picture AND the text.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox.

PS- This does not need to be available online of course, I just need to display the altered web page on a PC.

There has got to be an easy way.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
you can open the HTML page in a text editor. If you're unfamiliar with the code in there, it may be a bit confusing, but at least you can do a quick search (in the text editor) for a sentence (that you want to change) and you'll be able to see the text you need to replace.

Just resave the file and you're done.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Also, if you have Word then open the saved page using Word and you should get a WYSIWYG editor to allow you to fix the page. :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thank you! Word seems to be doing the trick but is giving me some sort of warning about not having enough memory. Any way to fix that?

Seems to work for the most part though...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There used to be a fake CNN news generator that would create links starting with CNN's URL. The trick? All web servers have a redirect port (so it looks like you are clicking on CNN but you are actually going to website XYZ). The site got yanked after a few weeks but you should be able to do the same thing using the redirect port or other 'trick' (@ symbol, etc.).

In other words, you can use the actual URL from the crime website and redirect it to your page (making it seem more real).

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
TheoGB, I have 256 MB of RAM and about 30 GB of free HD space.

Thanks for the tips guys/gals. Very useful...

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm, well unless you're using older versions of Word and Windows, 256 isn't really a lot of RAM. Still, I don't remember ever getting such messages on my old PIII 800 win98SE system with that amount.

Are you using Win ME by any chance? That definitely had 'memory leak' problems. If you're using XP or 2000 maybe you should upgrade the RAM as 1GB is a more comfortable amount.

Still, it sounds like the 'wrong' error message is being generated to me, but I'm not sure why or how.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If the page links to an external style sheet and javascript file it may look all funky if you try to save the page itself and run it from your harddrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks