What's new

Is there any way to enjoy my large concert DVD collection on my MP3? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I recently just joined the masses and bought my FIRST mp3 player. I have a rather large concert DVD collection I'd also like to listen to on my mp3. I'm using MP10 to manage my mp3's. I know it's unlikely(copyright laws), but is there an easy way to do this?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use DVD Audio Ripper for this purpose. It works on most concert DVD's. I do have a few where the program cannot read the soundtracks, though.

Another option is to use Audacity to capture the concert into a WAV file, and then some sort of WAV editor (I use Nero) to break the WAV file into individual song segments. I do this for the discs that I cannot convert with DVD Audio Ripper.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Following up on Scott's suggestion to break up a long WAV file into many smaller wav files, use the free program CD Wave. You just load the long WAV in, then click where you want the track breaks, and when you're finished it breaks the long wav up into the dozen (or however many) tracks that should be.

And on a technical level, CD Wave is preferred because it makes the breaks perfectly, with no chance of a "pop" sound:

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Scott and Will thanks for the info and linkage. I'll try these programs out this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!

John Mil

Agent
Scott, how much $ does the DVD Audio ripper cost? For some reason , your link is not working for me. I'd like to rip the audio from some of my dvd's into aac format.

Thanks,
John

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Cool! Didn't realize it will also do redbook CD's.

Question!? Which format would I use to burn to CD for the best audio quality? WAV file? I'm burning to a 700MB CD.

"MP3, WAV, AAC, AC3, OGG, RA, WAV, WMA and AU formats."

p.s. John the link worked fine for me. It's $29.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I believe that WAV is uncompressed, so it beats MP3, AAC and AC3 in terms of quality. I'm not sure off the top of my head about those other formats you mentioned.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
*UPDATE* I actually ended up using this program instead as it's a fully functional "30 Trial" version (DVD Audio Extractor). It doesn't have the "5 min." limitation and it's priced about the same as the DVD Audio Ripper program. Also this program has an Audio CD option. I had a chance to use this program several times this weekend and so far I like it. Interface is a little clunky for a Novice like me, but so far so good.

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

p.s. Aaron I think you're right. Uncompressed WAV appears to be the way to go for best audio for DVD to CD transfer.

Matthew J

Agent
There's also a free but perhaps more meticulous way to take any audio streams from a DVD's audio, even separate the 5.1 channels to their own separate wav files, though I'm not sure if such instructions or things are allowed to be posted around here. Google "besweet" and see results.

dapengfei

Auditioning
Real Name
JeanColin
maybe you can try Pavtube DVD Ripper
it's 4-in-one DVD backup, ripper, converter and editor.
Easy-to-use and intuitive interface, fast speed, and high quality.
you can goto their site to download to try it

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Has your MP3 player a line in input? Then the easiest way is to just let the DVD play with the MP3 player connected via line in, and record. I have the iAudio F2 and it does that wonderfully. This way I record DVD commentaries to listen to on trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks