What's new

Is there any place that still sells Laserdisc players? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I was looking on amazon.com and saw one that's a DVD/LD combo or something for like $1000. That's just insane. Of course, it's kind of crazy to bother with those at all these days. lol

I'd prefer a reliable retailer over ebay, but it doesn't seem like there's many options anymore.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
At a local pawn shop they have an RCA Laserdisc player for $250, it doesn't have s-video or AC-3 outputs. I hate to think what a good Laserdisc player would cost used.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I don't believe LD players are currently in production. LD players can be easily damaged in shipping if someone does not have the orig. box or does not pack it properly. I'd avoid E-Bay for those type of items. You can go to people like Kurtis Bahr (or others who guarantee). His E-Mail is [email protected] Places like audiogon.com tend to have people into the hobby too.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

'S' video on most players are a waste the way the format is. AC-3 is nice to have but then you need an RF demodulator to extract Dolby Digital sound. A nice LD does not have to be expensive. On Audiogon now there is a Pioneer 503 with 20 LDs and the asking price is $175 or best offer and also a Pioneer 703 for $195 or best offer. The 703 is a really nice player if you can live w/o AC-3. A used 703 would be substantially similar but also have an AC-3 output.

greg_t

Screenwriter

I have a Pioneer Elite CLD79 going up for sale if you are intrested. Please PM me here or post back here if you are interested and I'll give you full details.

Greg

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

There are one. Nicolas (n$a on ebay) are still selling high-end units. He has the R7G for 800$, a great player, a lot better than those combo players and CLD-704. I would rate the player to be somewhere between the HLD-Xx players and CLD-97. It has the best comb filter in any LD player and less CLV smearing than most. It's a "new" player, made between 97-99, so choosing between a 15 year old and a 7 years old player, I would get a newer if I want it to work as long as possible in the future.

As there is still maybe 2500-3000 LD's released in USA not on DVD yet and I would guess 3000-5000 LD's released in Japan not on DVD yet, there is still a good reason for a great player.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
S-Video can serve a purpose on good LD players with good comb filters. Some of the Pioneers had a 3D comb filter that would rival today's best comb filters.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a CLD D406 that doesn't turn on, I opened it up and it looks sound (i.e everything there and nothing Fried. If you have a good repairman or can if you can DIY might be a good deal.
I picked it up for parts for my 79 a while ago.
Email me or PM if interested and maybe we can work something out

Good Luck whatever you do!
Grant

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer CLD-D504 that I no longer use. It still works and like new. I still have the manual. It has S-Video and Composite Outs. There is also an AC-3 RF out which requires a separate unit which converts the output to optical which I also have. I'm not sure what you are looking for in the way of Laser Disc titles, but I have about 20 - 30 disc in mint condition. My wife was just asking me yesterday when I was going to give them to my grandson or but them on ebay. If you are interested in them, let me know.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Ah. I wish I had more money to spend right now. I'm getting sort of tapped out between buying a DLP TV, receiver, tv stand, cables, etc etc. Plus, I'm trying to hang onto a little cash for the DVD bargains on Black Friday. If I get some cash from people for xmas, maybe I'll be able to resume my search for an LD player. :-/

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Check out laserdiscservice.com. They rebuild players and sell players also. They have been in business since 1979.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I love my 504. Always looking for movies. One record store had a box out, said "free" on them. Could barely give them away.

WillNE

Agent
I bought like 5 of them a year or so back for like $30 from a school auction. They are all Pioneers. No AC-3 output and I'm not sure if it has S-video or not. They also didn't have remotes but still they work well. All but one did anyway.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
LD is natively composite video. There is no great loss if the player has no S-video output. S-video output just gives you a chance of getting a better comb filter (in the player) than your TV has.

Some players with no "digital sound" selection may suffer these disadvantages (1) won't let you enjoy disks where the primary audio is not on the analog tracks, and (2) may have random discolored streaks in the picture when playing a disk with digital sound encoded.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The main importance of S-Video output on LD players is that it tended to appear on the models which were better all-around. The same with AC-3 RF outputs, which are all on newer players which tend to be less used and easier to get parts for.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I also have the CLD-79 and I bought mine on ebay a few years back. Still works great with those DTS LD's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks