What's new

Is there an affordable way to catch up on X-Files seaons 1-7? (w/REPRICING INFO) (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Nick,

Since you're in Salina, Kansas, I don't know if this advice will help you much, but up here in Seattle I have bought Seasons 1-6 used and paid $45-60 for each set. Just check the discs before you buy to make sure there are no scratches, and make sure the booklet is included.

AnthonyWilliams

Auditioning
I'd suggest waiting for a special. I managed to pick up seasons 1 to 4 for $85 each (Australian dollars) brand new from Target. That is about $55 US. Fox had a special on seasons 1 to 5 about a month ago. I initially had no interest in purchasing the X-files dvds, but for the price I couldn't resist.

I also believe a lot of the tv shows on dvd are overpriced eg, Star trek. The cheapest I've seen the next generation sets is about $180 (Australian) for 7 discs. I can easily buy 6 movies for that price.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Here's the deal. Once you sell your old DVD, you can not watch IT again. So 2 people are not now possesing and enjoying said product. So it isn't analogous to copying or bootlegging in any way. If I bought a CD, burned a copy and then Sold the copy, yes that would be illegal. But if I just sold the original CD, the studio already made the dough off the sale and I lose the ability to USE the product ever again. There is just the 1 copy floating out there that by selling it in the 1st place, once again, the studio already made it's dough and it's potential profit when they sold it to "the middleman", dealer etc... who also might have made a profit.
And I also think it's ludicrous that I can buy many older catalog films on DVD for less than their soundtracks on CD.

Just my 2 cents... but what do I know?

:) D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Not to justify these pricey discs, but a season set works out to approsimately 10-12 movies if you just go by length (2 episodes equals one movie) so it's still a pretty good deal.

However, compared to the prices the same studio is charging for "Buffy" and "Angel" it'll be really tought to shell out more than twice for season 8 and 9 of "X-Files". With Duchovny mostly gone for 8 and all but gone for 9, they need to bring the price down a bit, at least to a retail price of $99.99 instead of the $150 they have been. I know they still have to pay the others, but Duchovny surely took the biggest bite.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Yes, there is an affordable way to catch up on the X-Files & the affordable way would be to purchase a used copy of all of the seasons of the X-Files.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Just want to comment on this one: "Does a computer or PS2 game cost more to make than a Hollywood film? I think not....." - People seem to have the view that a computer game is simply made up by a single person in a weekend, but the truth is that today dozens of people work on a game for months before it's released. It needs musicians, actors, programmers, drawers, modelers and so forth. They cost millions of dollars to make.
Also, game companies doesn't get any profit from ticket sales so a price-tag of about $50 for a game is not too much to ask. Especially since a game is a lot easier to pirate without any degradation in quality.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
dvdsoon.com seem to suggest that the entire 8 first seasons will be re-released in May for $90.00 CND each (aprox $60.00 U.S.).

Both amazon.com & amazon.ca also list season 9 for a May 2004 release at the same new low reduced price!

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
X-Files: Complete Season 7 (6 Disc Set)
DVD Region 2 & 4
£39.99
Release/Despatch Date:
Monday 19 Apr

CDWow has 1 - 7 listed - example above. I get all my region 1 from here now so I guess you guys could order region2 if your player can handle it... almost half price over here.

Tom June

Agent
Are they repricing the X-Files sets? Dear god, I hope so. I've purchased the first three sets but have not had the money lately to continue buying them. I only plan to buy up to season 5, but this is still great news if its true. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yes, the retail price will drop when season 9 is released. There's an existing thread with the particulars.

Chris^B

Auditioning
I noticed that they had already dropped the prices at Wal-marts last week. They had season 8 there for 70 some dollars.

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Can anyone confirm if the packaging is the same as the non-repriced? The same things happened over here but they changed the packaging to 3 standard DVD cases. Would prefer to stick with the original packing I have fro my first 7 sets.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I noticed that seasons 1-4 were in full screen format... however the remainder of the seasons were in widescreen format.

Anyone know why the producer/director decided to change the aspect ratio?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks