Is there an affordable way to catch up on X-Files seaons 1-7? (w/REPRICING INFO)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nick Graham, May 21, 2003.

1. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

It's no different than a printing of a book. The book sells once from the retailer, the company profits, and that's the end of it. It's "off the official market" now and can only be resold in used bookstores by private retailers without the company getting another cent from that particular printing. That seems perfectly fair to me and a lot of other people.

If the company wants to cash in on the same content again for another sale to the same person, they'll just have to reprint the book. Studios can just re-release the DVD with an incentive for the customer to buy again. They are never going to have claim to used sales profits, because that's double-dipping. They no longer own that tangible item. The person who bought it owns it and deserves 100% of whatever it resells for, regardless of who owns the copyrighted material inside that media.

2. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

James - If you all you are buying when you buy a DVD is a license to view it, then the license is transferable unless it is made exclusive. As far as I know, there is no viable legal theory under which a license can be exclusive and non-transferable without your express written agreement. Therefore, you should be able to legally give, transfer, trade, or sell the disc (i.e. the license) to another person as you wish.

I seem to recall that the music industry attempted to fight this battle when used CD stores became more common and got nowhere.

3. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Imagine this... if studios DID have claim to some of the profits when a DVD is resold, then that would greatly increase the number of times the same movie is re-released with some new extra or other incentive to make people want to buy it again. And then that would encourage the person to resell their previous version of the DVD to someone else. What a nightmare that would be, getting a rehashed version of the same movie on DVD once a year or more frequently!

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

But the friend of Person B is potentially a lost sale to the studio. In this scenario, they had three potential sales, but only made two even through three different owners possessed the product.

5. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

6. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"got X-Files 3-6 there at (gasp) $25/set... boxes a little scuffed, discs perfect.. "

YOU RULE!! I thought I was specail getting Season 6 for $50 and Season 5 for $60. But like a few other's have stated, I too have flipped the Hundo for a set here and there. I've probably spent about $70-75 on average for the 6 sets. Definately an expensive hobby to say the least but remember......the truth is out there.............

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Good grief, that's some significantly scary stuff....

9. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Disney's official line on degradable discs is that they are meant to replace rentals, not sell through discs. Clearly they feel degradable discs will be more profitable than the current rental scheme. There is absolutely no way in the world Disney (or any other company) would push degradable discs (or any other new product) if the end result was less profit than they make now.

And I think you're over estimating the success of the second hand market. Sure, there are some people who will buy a cheaper used disc in lieu of a more expensive new one. But I think the majority of second had buyers (like me) are looking to get a disc that they never would have paid full price for.

If I buy the X-Files used, there's no loss to the studio because I'm not willing to pay what they're charging.

10. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

James:

The degradable DVD market will fail miserably. Hey James...ever heard of DIVX supported by Circuit City. Is it still around??? No. Plain and simple. The DVD degradable market for Disney will fail miserably IF, and let me emphasize IF, it ever makes it off the ground. They are testing the waters right now and I can bet to guess they will soon discover that NO ONE wants their content controlled. It hasn't worked for the publishing companies, i.e. Acrobat Reader with "locked" e-books. It hasn't worked with CD's. It hasn't worked with DVD, i.e. Circuit City DIVX. The genie is out of the bottle and cannot and will not be put back in. It is impossible. The RIAA or MPAA would be shooting themselves in the foot if they try to control the content and they know it. In fact...I would bet thousands that if they tried to lock the content(Video on Demand, Degradble discs) and not sell a regular DVD or CD they would soon find out that the bootlegging community would THRIVE!!! I mean who would want a degradable disc when they can buy one that is a regular DVD from ebay. They need to learn that people not only like the ability to time shift, media shift, etc but they REQUIRE IT!! They want to download their CD to their drive or portable HD. They want to watch a movie whenever they want or where ever they want.

And they only reason Disney is looking into degradable discs is for one simple reason...the bottom line $$$.

I buy most of my CDs, DVDs, Books, etc used. It is cheaper and I do not care for the RIAA or the MPAA one bit so why should I give any $$ to their cause.

Do you work for them James?

11. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I never said it would work. I was just explaining WHY they might want to do such a thing in the first place.

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I bought all seven seasons so far as they came out and paid around $80-90 for each. I think they were all worth it, as will be the case with the remaining two. This is one of the best shows ever.

13. John C

John C Stunt Coordinator

Here's my take on what is really hurting the video game and music industries.......charging too damned much money for a technically inferior product!
    I'm not a huge video game player so I balk at the at least $50 price tag charged on new video games. Does a computer or PS2 game cost more to make than a Hollywood film? I think not.....
    The recording industry has whined incessantly about MP3 bootlegging destroying the industry. I'll tell you what's ruining the industry, $18 for a CD!!
    If I go to Best Buy I can either buy the DVD of a film for around $15 (typically give or take a few bucks) and buy the movie soundtrack on CD for around $13. Which am I going to buy for that price point? The recording industry better start LOWERING prices if they want to increase sales. I know, I know, the execs never want to trade a short term loss for a long term gain....
    Is anything I'm saying making any sense or are there still people out there boo-hooing for the video game and music industry?

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

15. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

In my opinion, second-hand sales fit straight into Economics 101: Supply and Demand. These used sales fill a niche for customers who would not pay the retail price for the product (and such, do not really represent a lost sale of a brand new unit). The reduced price represents a lot of things: sacrifice of convenience (having to check a bunch of places to find it perhaps instead of walking into Best Buy), condition of the product (and perhaps longevity), risk of defects (no warranty here unless provided by the place that sold it to you), etc.

There will always be those who want the game/DVD right when it comes out, some who will wait until the retail price drops, or some who will only buy it when it is dirt cheap. You could also argue that many of these second-hand business also sell new games/DVDs and act as another important outlet for the studios. People get drawn in by the used selection, and wind up buying a couple of new DVDs or games too (I know it's happened to me!).

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Garth Brooks and the RIAA agree that sales of used CD's should be illegal. That alone is enough to convince me that sales of used CD/DVD's should be encouraged.

-Dave

18. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Back to the topic at hand, here's my suggestion:

Pick up Season One and Season Two from ebay.

When you're finished viewing Season One, put it up for auction on ebay. Once this transaction is complete, seek out a Season Three set on ebay and purchase it. In the meantime, enjoy Season Two.

Et cetera, et cetera.

This is assuming, of course, that you need not own the discs, just view them.

I'll shut up now and let you all return to the discussion that has nothing at all to do with the thread starter's original question.

Jon

19. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I already am gonna jump on Netflix, which was a great suggestion my dumb butt had never thought of, so my problem is solved. Debate on!

Garth Brooks and the RIAA think used CDs should be illegal....yet they want $18-20 for 30 minutes of music.
    Thanks goodness the studios don't have that kind of power here in the States...not for lack of trying.

20. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I agree with the earlier pawn shop suggestion. I have bought many DVDs that way. As for X-files, I bought my seasons 1-6 online at eBay. 4 seasons used and 2 brand new. I spent less than $400 total, and they are all the real deal. None of that overseas stuff. Snoop around and find some good deals.