What's new

Is there a way to hook up my computer to my TV? (1 Viewer)

RentBaxley

Agent
I hvae a 42" Mistubishi rear projectoin HDTV. I would like to use it as a monitor for my laptop, is this possible? I don't even know where to begin...

Thanks!
-R

SimiA

Second Unit
Does your puter video card have the necessary connections that can run to the Mits? DVI/HDMI S-video??
Do you have software like powerstrip installed for custom resolutions?
Vb

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
You've asked a very general question that requires a specific answer.
Generally RPTV's have VGA or 15 pin inputs. If you're laptop has the same output then it's a simple cable connection.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It really depends on the capability of the RPTV and available inputs.

For non-HD sets you are stuck with using composite or s-video from a computer which will look terrible for computer uses, unless you are using your computer for video. Desktop and things will look terrible.

If you have HD-capabilities on your display, then there are a number of ways to get HD resolutions to it for display, but this depends on the set.

RentBaxley

Agent
My RPTV is a Mitsubishi 42" HD, model WT-42311. The only imports that it has that I know of are S-Video, Video, and and component video inputs with 480i/480p/1080i Capability.

My Laptop, as far as i know, doens't have any video card or software for this purpose. It is a thinkpad T41.

Does this info help at all?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I was reading up on your Mitsubishi and it says, "It has a comprehensive selection of jacks, including three broadband component-video inputs (one can also handle RGB/HV input."
The RGB/HV input is interesting because I think that's compatible with a HD15 or a VGA connector.
So all you'd need is a component breakout cable.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...les/SCVM3R.asp

RentBaxley

Agent
Thanks Ian, it may be worth a buy just to try it out. I have my manual, and it looks like those jacks are for the HDTV Tuner or something. Hmm...anyone have any idea if this setup would work, or how I could find out before blowing $50?

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
A related question: I have a Panny 53WX53. The manual says that I shouldn't use it for computer display. Is this a "safe" statement made by Panasonic to avoid complaints about burn-in, etc. or is it really bad to use my HD set as a monitor?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks