What's new

Is there a new 4K restoration of "Vertigo"? (1 Viewer)

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
haineshisway said:
In the early days of CD those complaints were accurate - they sounded horrible because they just slapped any old master onto a silver disc without doing any work..
That's no doubt correct, but there was many an audio enthusiast that just knew music couldn't sound right when the waveform was reconstructed from periodic samples.

---------------

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ScottHM said:
This reminds me so much of complaints in the early days of CDs. Of course, there are still those who listen to their music from vinyl LPs.

---------------
There are indeed, and I'm one of them. Mind you, as I'm now growing old and my hearing is deteriorating, I don't find CD nearly as unpleasant as I used to.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
haineshisway said:
I can't even respond to this. Heaven bless the Home Theatre Enthusiast. :)
You can't respond because you have no experience in this matter or because you are too polite to tell me I'm delusional? :laugh:
It's a fact that with some of today's digital home cinema projectors you get blacker blacks and more on off contrast than with any film or digital projection in cinemas of today or the past. It was already true with analogue CRT projectors for home cinemas 20 years ago. And of course it has been true and is true for monitors/TVs with suitable technology, for professional use or for at home. There is more to an image than black level and contrast of course but without good blacks and contrast the rest is severly degraded, no matter how good it is otherwise.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
ScottHM said:
That's no doubt correct, but there was many an audio enthusiast that just knew music couldn't sound right when the waveform was reconstructed from periodic samples.

---------------
Not knew, erroneously believed. :)

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Back in those early days of CDs I met an EMI executive who had been subjected to ill informed criticism from Yehudi Menuhin, who knew JUST enough to understand that what one heard was a stream of samples.

'So it's not continuous'

'There are 44.1 thousand samples every second. Can you hear the space between them?'

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Malcolm Bmoor said:
Back in those early days of CDs I met an EMI executive who had been subjected to ill informed criticism from Yehudi Menuhin, who knew JUST enough to understand that what one heard was a stream of samples.

'So it's not continuous'

'There are 44.1 thousand samples every second. Can you hear the space between them?'
With the early 16 bit straight transfer from old RIAA masters, you could hear the cumulative effect. :)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I wonder if the TCM (Fathem Events) showing this upcoming Sunday (March 18) will be this new 4K transfer?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

'So it's not continuous'

I'd trust the hearing of Yehudi Menuhin far more than that of any business executive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks