Is there a new 4K restoration of "Vertigo"?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Jul 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    That's no doubt correct, but there was many an audio enthusiast that just knew music couldn't sound right when the waveform was reconstructed from periodic samples.

---------------

2. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    There are indeed, and I'm one of them. Mind you, as I'm now growing old and my hearing is deteriorating, I don't find CD nearly as unpleasant as I used to.

3. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

You can't respond because you have no experience in this matter or because you are too polite to tell me I'm delusional? :laugh:
    It's a fact that with some of today's digital home cinema projectors you get blacker blacks and more on off contrast than with any film or digital projection in cinemas of today or the past. It was already true with analogue CRT projectors for home cinemas 20 years ago. And of course it has been true and is true for monitors/TVs with suitable technology, for professional use or for at home. There is more to an image than black level and contrast of course but without good blacks and contrast the rest is severly degraded, no matter how good it is otherwise.

4. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

Not knew, erroneously believed. :)

5. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    Back in those early days of CDs I met an EMI executive who had been subjected to ill informed criticism from Yehudi Menuhin, who knew JUST enough to understand that what one heard was a stream of samples.

'So it's not continuous'

'There are 44.1 thousand samples every second. Can you hear the space between them?'

6. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Stanley
    With the early 16 bit straight transfer from old RIAA masters, you could hear the cumulative effect. :)