What's new

Is There a DVD Player That Can Compensate for Overscan? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The amount of overscan I have on my TV (Hitachi Ultravision 32' HDTV Monitor) is killing me. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any DVD players on the market that can zoom out in very small increments. Just enought to compensate for the TV overscan. Let me know (also with Progressive Scan)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Have you tried accessing the set's service menu? There was too much overscan on my 32" but I was able to change that in the service menu. I doubt that you'll find a DVD player to do the trick.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I checked the tv meun pretty extensively, Couldn't find anything that related to Overscan (unless I'm Missing something). Does anyone else have this model TV?

Also, I think I read a post from someone that said they did have a DVD player that could Zoom out in small increments.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
My Toshiba 2800 does that. It creates a small border on all four sides of the image. This feature most likely is on Toshiba's current players.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What 'exactly' does your Toshiba 2800 do? Is it actually pixel-scaling or some sort of fixed zoom? Do you get to adjust it? Does it work regardless of aspect ratio? Anamorphic or non-anamorphic?

I'm dying to get pixel scaling (without losing too much picture quality from my rp91 or cp-72), but hadn't heard that the Toshiba could do this, or anything like this.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
It's like a reverse zoom that makes the image slightly smaller than its true size. It looks similar but not exactly like the "Say My Name" video from the Destiny's Child DVD video collection. It is accessed thru the Toshiba's zoom mode. It works on any image displayed. However, it is fixed and not adjustable.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, does anyone have the model TV I described up above (32" Hitachi Ultravision HDTV Monitor) Does this have normal overscan or high overscan. Is there anyway I can adjust it?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Overscan usually differs depending on the actual set, ask in the display devices secion for help on accessing the service menu and adjusting the overscan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks