What's new

is there a dvd-player out there to fit my needs? (1 Viewer)

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone-
I am really new to this home theater stuff and have (what I think) bumbled together a pretty decent set-up.
TV: Toshiba 57hx83
Reciever: Denon 3805
Sub: SVS PCi 20-39
Fronts: Klipsh Reference series RB-35's and an RC-35
Surrounds: (3) Jamo in ceiling three way speakers

Now the only thing that I need is a DVD player that........
holds multiple disks,
plays DVD-R's and RW's,
plays CD-R's and RW's,
plays MP-3's,
has progressive scan,
has great picture quality.
Also, what else should I look for that could be a very important feature??!!
I had my heart set on a denon, but none of their models fit the bill.
I have about 500 dollars to spend so, something in that price range.

What are my options? HELP!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are you willing to buy on Ebay? If so, Denon is in your range. There are several 2200's available right now. The first one that popped up for me was Buy It Now for $475 plus S/H $24 = $499. It says it's brand new in the box and the seller has 100% positive feedback. By most accounts this is a great player, so if you've got $500 to drop on it, go for it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2200 is single disc, not a changer, but it does meet all your other criteria. I'd say its the best bet in the price range.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1815 would do great, as would the 2815 if you also want DVD-A and SACD support. Watch www.ecost.com for some great deals on Denon Authorized Factory Refurbished items.

Hope this helps :)

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
It looks to me that the denon 1815 and the 2815 don't play cd-r's and -rw's. That Is a very important feature to me. I researched further and found last years 4800 looks to have all of the bells and whistles that I am looking for, any comment on this machine?

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
sparky - check out Crutchfield.com for good spec info...the Denon plays my cd-r & cd-rw just fine.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
On that link above, the information is wrong. I just did some more reseach and yup the 1815 and the 2815 DO play the -r's. So, now the question is what is the better player between the two. Also- what are the big advantages of the 2200 and the 2900? Even though they are single disk, if they are a much better player I might consider them. Thanks again.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
If I was in the market for a multidisc player then I'd opt for the Sony ES DVP-CX777ES , this is one nice unit and can be had for under $600 and what really nice is it has the Sony 5 year ES warranty.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The 2200 and 2900 support both SACD and DVD-audio and use the Silicon Image de-interlacer. The 1815 and 2815 use the Faroudja de-interlacer and the 2815 has DVD-audio, but neither have SACD - these are changer versions of the single player models DVD-910 and DVD-1200.

I purchased the Denon 2200 but it wouldn't play my DVD-R's and had problems playing my CD-R's. I ended up returning the player.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Abe,
I believe the Yamaha DVD C940 will do everything You require. 5 disc capacity with Faroudja chip, Burr Brown dacs, and SACD to boot. And it's in You're price range. However, I'm not sure about DVD R capability.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
James- I looked at the sony and I could see my self getting pretty annoyed with all of the space. We rent a lot of movies and it looks to me to not have a +1 drawer. I also think it would be to big to fit in my entertainment center. too deep that is.
Joe, I will look into the Yamaha when I get home from work this afternoon. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks