What's new

Is there a director's cut that truly works ? (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Surprised no one has mentioned the DC of Lethal Weapon. The sniper scene used to introduce Riggs is AWESOME, and I appreciated the scene where he picks up the prostitute in showing the essential loneliness of his character(coming as it does after he first meets and has dinner with Murtaugh's family).

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Superman: The Movie is my all-time favorite film. I have watched it countless times since I was about 4 years old or so. I must say that I do not think the DVD Special Edition (completely done with Donner's participation) is better than the original. The scene most people love - the Jor-El/Superman fortress scene is very out of place. First of all, all of Brando scenes were the first to be shot. Christopher Reeve was physically MUCH smaller then. Seriously. Watch the previous scene when he is out on the town saving Air Force One, cat in the tree, etc. Then the film cuts to the fortress with a much smaller Superman. More importantly though, I think the scene breaks up the flow of the film. To me, it is very jarring when we go from the action of his first night to the scene with Jor-El in the fortress. By the way, the whole "air hug" thing is just cheesy as anything I've ever seen. Should have been left out IMHO. The other scenes (such as "Fire and Ice") - I am ambivalent to those. To me though, the Brando scene just kills the pacing.
I enjoy the extended version of The Abyss very much. However, the whole "much more intelligent lifeform lectures stupid, unevolved, warmongering humans" thing gets old.
Count me in the camp that likes the exteded Almost Famous too. Oh, and the theatrical Alien is the definitive in my book.

I am one who believes that the original theatrical version should ALWAYS be made available. I am all for Director's Cuts, Special Editions, Extended Editions or whatever else they want to call them, but I want the originals too. I want the option to watch Superman the way I saw it for 17 years. Yes, the theatrical Star Trek: TMP sucks, but I watched it many times and would like to at least have it available. Again, director's can remake films to fit their "original intent" or "artistic visions" all they want. Shoot, I don't care if they recut their films just to sell more DVD's and line their pockets. But I would just like the originals available as well. Is that to much to ask? I didn't think so. Now that I have convinced all director's to make their original theatrical cuts available on DVD, I will shut up now. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy the extended version of The Abyss very much. However, the whole "much more intelligent lifeform lectures stupid, unevolved, warmongering humans" thing gets old.
I agree. However, I still prefer the longer Abyss just because it ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE! Good or bad - at least the ending has a point...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have never understood the complaint that the theatrical version of The Abyss "makes no sense". Where exactly is the problem? Is it the fact that the origin and purpose of the NTIs remain unexplained? I didn't need that explained in order to be satisfied by the human story (to borrow Cameron's phrase). The NTIs are a mystery throughout the film, and the theatrical ending leaves them that way (with the promise that humanity may now get to know them). Frankly I much prefer a mystery to the tepid replay of The Day the Earth Stood Still that concludes the extended cut.

M.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I have never understood the complaint that the theatrical version of The Abyss "makes no sense". Where exactly is the problem? Is it the fact that the origin and purpose of the NTIs remain unexplained? I didn't need that explained in order to be satisfied by the human story (to borrow Cameron's phrase). The NTIs are a mystery throughout the film, and the theatrical ending leaves them that way (with the promise that humanity may now get to know them). Frankly I much prefer a mystery to the tepid replay of The Day the Earth Stood Still that concludes the extended cut.
What he said! :)

The original theatrical cut made the point about the insanity of nuclear weapons quite nicely with the ideological struggle between Lindsey and Lt. Coffey.
Sorry, but the SE ending, while it does explain the motivations of the aliens, is just an excuse for Cameron to stomp around on his soapbox.

The theatrical cut may leave you scratching your head wondering why the aliens are even in the movie (other than to serve as a Deux ex machina) but the SE makes the aliens look twice as lame by turning them into nothing more than intersellar (or interdimensional) nuke protestors. Lame and preachy.

RobD

Second Unit
Good Thread. Read this from the start with the immediate thought of the superiority of the Dances With Wolves Extended cut and then felt a bit dissappointed when someone had inevitably mentioned it already, it adds so much more to the film. Im also a fan of the Unitled version of AF and like the way the package includes the standard cut too.

With the exception of Leon/The Professional there arent any other Director cuts I prefer over the originals. Anyone else think the Empire Records Remix was a waste of time?

Rob - Also a proud owner of the Abyss Collectors LD and liner notes but ironically has never seen the original cut.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Abyss...
The theatrical cut may leave you scratching your head wondering why the aliens are even in the movie (other than to serve as a Deux ex machina)
I have no problem with unresolved mysteries at the end of movies, but it is exactly that Deux ex machina aspects of the Abyss:TE that has always bothered me.

Beside, I think the Abyss:SE opening with the nuclear sub is far superior than the TE opening. (It also resolves many D.E.M. aspects)

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I liked "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The Director's Edition". I think Meyer managed to make some very good additions in a way that most people don't notice them. For example, the fact that the engineering cadet that died was Scotty's nephew, and Spock's classic response to Savvik's question whether Khan will follow the Enterprise into the Mutara Nebula, "I think I can guarantee he will follow us, sometime I will have to explain to you the concept of the human ego." Great stuff, and a great, if subtle, director's cut.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about Leon.

Its actually the International Cut which is also the directors preferred version.

It makes a much better film IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks