What's new

Is the sony SA-WM40 the best sub at $250 (1 Viewer)

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at a cheap sub for my system and was wondering if yoy guys recommend the sony or some other alternative.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Sony is regarded as the best at $150, but there may be something better if you can stretch to $250. I think there's something at PartsExpress.com that is popular. Someone will be along w/ the link shortly....

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I was just using the $250 mark as a guide. In NZ the sony is about $600 so anything at $250 usa will probably about $900.

THanks

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
At $250, I think 2 SA-WM40's are the best option. Go to my.sony.com they are $125 shipped each w/2000 points. All you need to do is click on the links to get the points. Maybe you could open accounts for you and somebody else so you could get points for two accounts at the same time.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Damn, $125 shipped is a sweet deal, makes me want to get another one, I love mine. 3 years now.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Energy model with the 8" driver can be had for about $250.00....very compact but has excellent sound quality.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I think a used klipsch ksw12 is a great deal at $250. they are pretty common on the used gear forum here. That's how i got mine and love it for only $250

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
My buddy got a Polk PSW-350 for $199 at Frys (lists for $419-ish). I was amazed at the build quality, and low freq response for the money. (And I'm used to Velodyne HGS-12, FSR-15; Vandersteen V2W performance :) and cost :frowning: .)
Another buddy has the Sony. I thought it didn't quite measure up to the Polk. But you have to be the judge, not me! :)

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I have two Audiosource SW15 and for the money 199.00 shipped from Amazon it cant be beat! Add a little fiber fill and it becomes a "velvet Hammer"

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Comparing 1 sub to 1 sub, the Audiosource SW-15 would be my choice. It has a larger driver, more powerful amp, and larger enclosure which means it moves more air and more efficiently.

I think for $50 more, two Sony's in the same corner would have the performance edge(extra 6db gain). I've heard both subs but not in the same room(not just in store also). I did like the SW-15 better(both need polyfill added) but the price on the Sony is just unbeatable!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Scratch my last post for the 2 Sony's. I just found the Audiosource SW-15 for $143 shipped on an auction at ubid.com. ends in less than 2 hours. That's one hell of a deal. Get two of these instead;)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Wow, this 15" is $199 shipped from Amazon. Looks like if you win the auction at Ubid you could save another $15 maybe.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I don't think the Sony holds the title as best sub under $150 anymore, especailly since it's only that price for a few U.S. folk who know about my.sony.com's 2000 must earn points. However, it has been rated by cheaphometheater.com as better than the PB10 although I don't think they mean better in terms of music- only in spl for movies, which are ok with boomy vs. music where you don't want that extra boomy sound. The current holder of the best sub under $150 goes to the DLS 10 from partsExpress.com for $99.80. Yes- the Sony is a close second, but in terms of bang for your buck and quality build- the DLS wins. Search for a thread by Steve nn on the DLS where he did a head to head comparison to the Sony without mods. Now, the mods (which are needed for the Sony to make it less boomy) will lower the actuall SPL on the Sony (even if just a bit), giving yet another reason for the DSL 10 to best it. Steve's test numbers demonstrated that the DLS 10 has a bit of an edge on an non-moded Sony. The Sony is an ugly sub, also (sorry Sony folk) but looks aren't everything. The DLS 10 helps with WAF if that's an issue. Also, I don't think the Sony does as well with music as the DLS 10 does, but I have not done a true in home comparison in this regard so let others who may have speak further on this issue. As far as the SW 15, that will rock with mods from what I understand, but I hope you don't want to hide it- apparently it's pretty large. This is also a must mod sub. DIY is an option but I understand taxes and the shipping may be an issue in this case. If not, partsExpress has some pretty good free shipping deals (again, I don't know if this will apply to you) on a 250W sub amp. The driver shouldn't be too much cash and you could make the box yourself. Anyway, good luck, José

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all:
I have seen others talking about these subs... the David 301/302 units on display at Costco for around $280.00 CAN. Their specs look reasonable enough. If they are accurate, they may outperform the sony, which is just over $300.00CAN here.
I am thinking of picking one up to give it a try and Costco has a great return policy if it turns out to be less than inspiring.
Roy

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I have the Sony. I bought it used from another member for $80, no shipping, I picked it up :emoji_thumbsup:
Can someone please elaborate on the mods that would improve the sony?? or possibly point me to another thread that discusses it? I tried the search but not sure exactly what I'm looing for. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks