What's new

Is The Jurassic Park Issue Settled? (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I know this has been brought up before (last year), but at that time I didn't understand all I needed to know (and STILL DON'T!) :) ...
I'm needing to buy Jurrassic Park in DTS. I remember something about a bad disc that was to be repressed. Has that problem been taken care of and can I now go and buy the DVD in confidence? I've seen both a 'regular' copy of it and one labeled "DTS Track" at the top.
And, YES, I tried a search on the topic, but I only turned up vague references. :frowning:
Please help.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The new pressing with the corrected DTS track has a red border around the disc specs (not black). To be doubly sure, the code on the band around the discs' hub (once you've opened the case) should read: D2R2.

Trust me, it's worth the trouble. Not quite as good as the full bitrate DTS LD as for absolute dynamic impact, but still much more intense than either the DD or incorrect DTS pressings.

Try the DTS version of The Lost World too.

Dan

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the DTS version of Jurassic Park earlier this week at Best Buy. My version doesn't say D2R2 or D2R1 on the band.

I have read it should say PEMC-D2R2 (for the corrected version), but mine just says PEMC, at the end of a string of other random numbers.

Anyone else have this problem?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Remember that Universal tried to replace the defective versions with the repressing quietly, so the made the case's exactly the same, including the black border. Once they knew they were caught and issued the press release, they stated the new pressing would have the red grid. So the way I see it, repressed versions with black grid are pre- Universal getting caught; red grids are after the bust. William G, and would get one with the red grid just to be sure.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the DTS version of Jurassic Park earlier this week at Best Buy. My version doesn't say D2R2 or D2R1 on the band.
Mark the latest disc pressing shows PEMC 22

This is the latest corrected version. You can verify it easily and save yourself the eye strain by placing the dvd in your PC cd/dvd drive and checking the file dates. The corrected versions have 11/2000 dates while the defective disc's show 7/2000 dates.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I saw in the other thread that if you have a DVD-ROM drive you can check the file dates. The original pressing has July dates in the Video_TS folder. The new version has November dates.

So I checked my disk and I have the November files.

So, just for the record, my disk has a BLACK border around the specs, does NOT have D2R2 or D2R1 around the band (just random letters and numbers), but DOES have the new files.

Also, the bass sounds great, so I thought I had the new version, just wanted to be sure.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Sean, that is exactly what mine says...PEMC 22.

I hadn't seen that info anywhere else.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark. I have the exact same JP disc as you and had been practically going blind trying to read those small characters around the hub looking for D2R2. BTW FYI, I have the black grid with the PEMC 22.

This is, indeed, information I hadn't seen anywhere else. I just recently purchased all three JP movies in DTS and was wondering if I got things right or wrong. MY LW disc says D2R0 and I haven't found that configuration written up anywhere either!?!?

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease. They DO sound great...but my HT is far from state of the art.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Mike,

My Lost World DTS is also D2R0. This is likely the only code as there was no problem with the first pressing of the lost world, only Jurassic Park.

Sherry H.

Grip
I'd also like to know if Universal is still replacing discs. I just purchased the DTS version last weekend and it's the old version. :frowning: Unbelievable...the old version is still on the shelf for sale all this time after the reissue!

Shawn_S

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. Old versions are still out there. I brought one about a month ago from bestbuy and took it back. I ordered mine from dvdempire as they claim to have cleaned out the old stock and only have the corrected version. I got the corrected version with no issues. Just for info I got the red border d2r2 version.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
I just sent in my old version of JP DTS about 3 weeks ago along with my Spy Game DVD and just received both back, 1 yesterday and 1 today. This version of JP DTS has PEMC-D2R2 on the inner ring of the disc.

Steve

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to wait until they make Ultimate Editions for all of them, or at least 1 and 2 since the third one is already excellent quality. They turned me off with all this nonsense, plus the DTS versions don't have all of the extras. Nuts to that.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I have the Black Border and D2R2. I guess I should send it back to columbia house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks