What's new

Is "The Greatest Story Ever Told" BluRay a dissapointment? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty easy to please, but I have to agree that the transfer on this BD is one of the worst I've ever seen(judging by the scenes I've reviewed on my projector). It would be nice if a remaster would be done similiar to what happened with GLADIATOR and FIFTH ELEMENT, but since TGSET isn't a very popular movie, I doubt it will happen.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by RobertR
Is it playable on US players?
Yes, the Aussie "Taras Bulba" blu-ray is All Region. I'd highly recommend it if you like the film. Really nice presentation, but, sadly, no extras to speak of. I wonder if they will get around to releasing the other widescreen epics in blu-ray for fans like me somewhere in the known world. I'd love "Alexander the Great" and "Khartoum", as well. But, as I constantly post, I really ache for "The Egyptian" in this format. Hopefully, Fox will lease it to Carlotta in France or Eureka in England.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann
Yes, the Aussie "Taras Bulba" blu-ray is All Region. I'd highly recommend it if you like the film. Really nice presentation, but, sadly, no extras to speak of. I wonder if they will get around to releasing the other widescreen epics in blu-ray for fans like me somewhere in the known world. I'd love "Alexander the Great" and "Khartoum", as well. But, as I constantly post, I really ache for "The Egyptian" in this format. Hopefully, Fox will lease it to Carlotta in France or Eureka in England.
Thanks Ed! I saw the film on MGM HD, and liked it (good old fashioned widescreen epic). I'll pick it up.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann

Do you have a link to the Aussie disc?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
So is TGSET Spartacus or Robocop bluray bad? So bad that it isn't worth upgrading the DVD (or worse)?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by theonemacduff

Do you have a link to the Aussie disc?
There are two good sources in Australia I know of for the "Taras" blu-ray. I got mine from dvd.orchard.com.au and they are quite reliable with reasonable shipping. They ship through Hong Kong, so it takes a bit of time to arrive. Another is Fishpond.com.au who have the best price last I checked. Both take Paypal, so you are somewhat protected from fraud, which is nice. MGM (under the banner "Shock") also produced a blu-ray of "Barfly" only available there.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I wouldn't upgrade from DVD if you already own it. The picture is not waxy, far from it, but it isn't solid...it looks like a DVD playing in a blu-ray player ...if you don't have the DVD go for it, otherwise the picture isn't that much different (it's the same transfer)

The big problem for me was the transfer images on display...it looks like the film was taken from an old DVD transfer a dozen years ago (apparently I'm told now it was) It even has the criss cross shading effect accross the screen in some of the lighter shots

Objects aren't solid - like when you blow up a small picture..all of a sudden you loss sharpness, also parts of the film are very fuzzy. Definately not a blu-ray type image. Solid Blue skys have a dirty digital effect dancing around them (Compared to "The Bible" where the solid blue sky is solid blue and free of any noise

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Greg, and anyone else who has an opinion:

As someone who doesn't already own this title in any format, would you suggest I go for the Blu or the Standard? I ask because of the extras or lack of same between the two. How many of the extras on the SD were not carried over to the BD? I actually like extras, especially when they are from the era the film was produced. If the Blu doesn't represent a significant upgrade, should I go for the extended bonus features?

I cancelled my order. I'm just going to keep the SD. I may pick it up next year around this time. I'm going to start buying blu-rays that are done right. Too many companies are losing money on titles that are superb but are not selling. I'm going to go for those.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I suggest to rent the Blu-Ray. The less revenue MGM sees from this the better.

I might be lucky to be able to see this in a 70mm print his year. While the print surely will be faded at least it will look like film and have about 10 times the effective resolution of this sorry excuse for a Blu-Ray.

Edit: And of course if you want to spend money on a biblical epics there are the three other releases that are far superior to TGSET - I puchased all three of them.

Originally Posted by Professor Echo

As someone who doesn't already own this title in any format, would you suggest I go for the Blu or the Standard? I ask because of the extras or lack of same between the two. How many of the extras on the SD were not carried over to the BD? I actually like extras, especially when they are from the era the film was produced. If the Blu doesn't represent a significant upgrade, should I go for the extended bonus features?

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Amazon UK are selling a Blu-ray versions of El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire for release mid-May. Does anyone have any info about this? It's news to me and I always assumed we'd never get these Bronston pics on BD.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner
Amazon UK are selling a Blu-ray versions of El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire for release mid-May. Does anyone have any info about this? It's news to me and I always assumed we'd never get these Bronston pics on BD.
Germany has had them for a while - just check Amazon Germany.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews15/el_cid_dvd_review.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews15/fall_of_the_roman_empire_dvd_review.htm

Amazon.DE are also getting some of these biblical movies in a month or so, which is helpful as I'm still uncertain from the reviews whether some of the US releases are Region A locked.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

Well Glenn, It all depends,
If I were to do it over, I would just stick with the DVD I already own.
If you want to send MGM a message you can order the blu-ray on Amazon, quickly cancel it and order the DVD with the explanation "The Blu-ray transfer is below acceptable standards" Amazon reads the cancelation messages and will pass it along to MGM

Otherwise...it's really up to you - if you never owned the film, sure buy the blu-ray (unless the DVD is much cheaper) but your sending MGM the wrong message

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Once in a while a company makes a mistake (it happens)

Mistakes are made because so many people are involved and someone wants to cut corners/expenses

How the company handles the mistake - that's the tricky part, it can either be a plus or a minus for future sales.

Paramount admitted the "Gladiator" Blu-ray was a mistake - did they fix it - yes, was it handled in a timely manner - No, But they did come through

FOX screwed up the DVD of "Oklahoma Todd-AO version" did they admit the mistake (yes, finally after a lot of teeth pulling) Did they correct the problem - No
(still no word on "Patton" and the waxy look of the Blu-ray)

Disney admitted there was dialog missing from the "Pinocchio" Blu-ray - did they fix the problem - apparently so

Other companies have canceled plans if the masters weren't good enough. I always like to have a "version" for sale, but if the master is so bad, then it may not be wise to release it.But in some cases a bad version is better than no version

Blu-ray - is a luxury, it is an upgrade from DVD. Very few Blu-ray titles were never released on DVD. So if you are going to release a blu-ray...go the extra distance and make it truly worth an upgrade (Do not strive for "pretty good" but "As good as can be")

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I like that idea, of ordering and canceling with a message directed toward the manufacturer.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I would also say that purchasing releases you do find well done from MGM - such as Fiddler on the Roof - and letting them know via letter you would purchase TGSET if presented with the same care would also send them a message that when done right catalog titles are of interest. Just not buying something translates as the specific title / catalog in general having no market.

Brandon, that is an excellent point. I have several MGM titles and will continue to buy those that are quality. I'm pleased with the ones I have purchased.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by eric scott richard
Brandon, that is an excellent point. I have several MGM titles and will continue to buy those that are quality. I'm pleased with the ones I have purchased.
I guess, no more MGM pre-ordering, we will just have to wait to see what the reviewers say

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks