What's new

Is THE GREAT RACE DVD soundeffect sync now fixed? (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Recently I viewed THE GREAT RACE on one of the HD networks. It looked great. (I hope a BluRay is under consideration at Warners.) They fixed that sync problem during the credits where the boos and cheers were under the wrong characters. But when we get to the beginning of the actual race festivities, those whish sounds of the camera flashes still are missing. I am pretty sure they were there originally because a few sequences prior to that, you hear them clearly when Lemmon and Falk are getting ready to “fly” that bullet contraption on the railroad tracks. Does someone still have the laser or VHS of THE GREAT RACE and can confirm my memory? I read somewhere recently that the sync problem on the credits has been fixed on the current DVD, so they must have pressed new copies sometime back. Thanks

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For some reason Warner never released the DVD in the UK. I imported it from Germany, & on that disc the boos & cheers are in the right order.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
A fairly recent Amazon review claims that the audio has been fixed but doesn't go into great detail. I've always enjoyed this movie and Amazon has it on sale right now. Just have to figure out what to do with the old copy.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
It might be my recent Amazon review that mentioned the credits sound being fixed. At that time I didn't know about the photo flash issue. I just checked my copy, and the flashes during the pre-race sequence go off without a sound.

UPDATE: For what it's worth, there's no flash sound effects on the French track, either.
Edited by Paul Penna - 7/18/2009 at 01:07 am GMT

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

It might be my recent Amazon review that mentioned the credits sound being fixed. At that time I didn't know about the photo flash issue. I just checked my copy, and the flashes during the pre-race sequence go off without a sound.
As I mentioned those flash sounds are in a earlier sequence. What has me baffled is I think the right sync cheers and boos was in one of the alternate language options, which I don't think was restored or even in stereo, but the pre-race sequence on that track was still missing. So that is why I hope someone has the old laser or VHS release of this and can check. I assumed they used an unrestored track for the foreign versions.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
There are no flash sounds on my 1990 VHS, which was in mono and the same master as was issued in the 80s. My copy was the first "slip sleeve" release of the film, as the 80s version was clamshell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks