What's new

Is the Forum on Life Support??? (1 Viewer)

Hayes

Auditioning
I have been reading this Forum for some time and value the information I've gained. I am severely technologically-challenged but i can follow most of the discussions that catch my eye,I do listen to the banter and I do try to make my own decisions. What I'm saying is that I have been only passively involved in the Home Theater Forum, but involved nonetheless.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Visit the hi-def areas. They've been the busiest areas for some time now, and never more so than in the last few months.

M.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
well, let me preface this by stating that i am not trying to troll.

i just know that when i joined this forum back in 2002 (after lurking for a couple of years) and even up through early last year the htf had constant new threads or new posts. most of the areas that i frequented had brand new posts or brand new threads that encompassed at least the entire first page if not the second page.

someone earlier mentioned that i should check out the hi-def areas but when i go there i see the same thing i mentioned above.

i am just wondering why, in my opinion anyway, the activity here at htf has in my estimation declined by at least 50-60 percent.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

A costly Hi-DEF war inflicted countless casualties among the membership, and many of the shell-shocked survivors are now refugees, they are hiding out in other forums waiting for the Blu army to withdraw and for the sniping and victories parades to end before returning home once again.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As a matter of policy, we've declared that the sniping should end. That includes posts like yours. If you see any sniping -- from either side of the now-moot hi-def war -- please report the post and do not reply. Thanks.

M.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

You should post more often, become a part of the HTF community. You have been here longer than me, and only have 788 posts. I dont sit on here all day, well OK, most days i dont, and look how many posts i have after 5 years. Throw us a bone man! :)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When I joined in 2004, most homes had only a CRT TV. In the next years projectors dropped in price while quality got much better, flat screens came out, and high def players and tvs came out. WOW in only about 4 years! During this time your average person went from just knowing how to hook up a yellow, red and white plug to all the hookups and resolutions that we have now. I wonder what % of people who join the HTF just ask a few questions to get their set-up going and then never return.

I think the learning phase is just about over for me anyway. Not that I know it all, but my theater is complete & I don't see any upgrades in the near future. In the past months I have wondered why I still read the HTF daily. I don't know why, but I feel like I am missing something if I don't. Mabe others have tapered off as their theaters or living room set-ups were completed.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

i think we share the same boat. i have everything i think i want at this point. only thing i need is a bd player at this point. but i may pass on that. i am a casualty of hd-dvd...... on a side note, i think that hard hd media will end up going the way of the cd. sooner or later more folks will choose to download than have hard discs.

i guess when i got my first hdtv big screen back in april of 2002 (a 57" toshiba rptv) that all of this new tech was a big deal. but honestly i was only one of two of my peers that even went hd at that point. and even now with more joe six packs actually picking up sets i figured that there would be many more folks looking for info and sticking around. everybody i know wants a flat screen. and when my friends see my properly calibrated flatscreen toshiba they really want one.

i found this forum after hitting a link on the home theater spot. i found avs as well but i have to take avs in doses. too much going on over there with their members fussing. i guess that the lifetime of anything it is cyclical. based on what i have read and people have pointed out i think there may be a resurgence of the htf.

i have thought about posting more, but when i read someone else's post that has already expressed what i was thinking i don't see the need. if you ever look at my history of posts here you will see that i don't regurgitate the same thoughts over and over like some people are prone to doing.

but i think i will be more active as i do have a little more time available nowadays.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
You mean adding members post counts where everyone can see it hasn't had the intended effect?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've noticed a marked slow down in postings too. I haven't been here as long as some, a little over 5 years, but I don't think the slow down (or perceived slow down) is anything to worry about. I remember similar periods of relative inactivity in the HTF as a whole. These things seem to go in phases.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
OK, someone may need to call 911. Other than this thread I just posted in, there have only been 5 threads with posts in them in the past two days. Damn, where is everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks