What's new

Is the E.T. Boxed Set, 3 Disc set worth the money? (1 Viewer)

I'm debating on getting one of the new E.T. releases on DVD, but while surfing Amazon.com I came accross the "Boxed Set, 3 Discs" set.
What are the differences between the new fancy shmancy one and the standard "Limited Collector's Edition?"
Boxed 3 Disc Set:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...175338-8663517
Limited Collector's Edition:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...175338-8663517
It's the review that's on both the E.T. releases that confuses me:
"Universal pulled a fast one when they placed both the 1982 and 2002 versions of E.T. on this standard DVD release. The result is an excellent two-disc set that contains nearly all of the material on the higher-priced ultimate edition (minus the handsome packaging). On the disc one bonus menu, you must play through the two-minute introduction to see a short on the 2002 premiere of the film that was accompanied by John Williams conducting a live orchestra. There is an option to see the film with..."
Are they saying both versions are the same expect for the more elaborate packaging on the boxed set?

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
George-
The boxset also come with a very nice high quality hardcover book that details production of the original movie as well as the 2002 special edition. It also comes with a senitype (a mounted piece of film from the movie), the soundtrack to the movie (this is a separate disc identical to the "sold separately soundtrack"), the additional extras, and a certificate of authenticity (not to mention the beautiful stately packaging). Really, this is a FANTASTIC boxset. I was likely to get in on the $24.99 Kmart.com deal, but it really is worth the additional funds if you've got the money to burn.

So other than all the cool paper materials added, the two sets have the same DVD content?

Meaning both the original release (cleaned up, etc) and the 2002 version?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, but the ultimate gift set contains an extra disc full of extras not included in the standard 2-disc set. Counting the sountrack the gift set actually contains 4-discs. It's one of the most beautiful sets I've ever seen, and well worth the extra $$$, IMHO.

Side note:

Is the image quality of the old and 2002 identical? Meaning did they put a lot of work into the 2002 release while not bringing the "old" one up to par?

nousername

Supporting Actor
I preferred the transfer of the 1982 version over the 2002 version. Less shimmering in the '82 version...

nousername

Supporting Actor
The '82 version on the two-disc set has DD and DTS. But the '82 version in the box set only has DD.

I think...

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
"The '82 version on the two-disc set has DD and DTS. But the '82 version in the box set only has DD."

That's confusing :p

Yeah I had to re-read it a few times until I got it. I'm sure he means the two-disc set has both audio mixes while the new super-duper-supremo-ultimate edition does not include a DTS mix. :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Is the image quality of the old and 2002 identical? Meaning did they put a lot of work into the 2002 release while not bringing the "old" one up to par?
I haven't compared, nor do I intend to ;)
I think you're going to love this boxset. I consider it the crown jewel of my collection.
Bruce

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This is "somewhat" suprising given that many people pre-ordered the Gift Set because at first, it was assumed that was the only way to get the original 1982 version of the film. I'm sure alot of people went with the LE when they learned that the original was available on that. So, I would've thought there would be extra copies of the Gift Set ready to ship. But, it is the buying season and again, the set is a beauty. But it's also not suprising in that the local B&M stores here haven't been able to keep any in stock. They are flying off the shelves.

Bruce

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The Ultimate Gift Set
Disc One:
- 2002 Cut (in Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1)
- John Williams' Score from the 2002 Premiere (in Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Introduction by Steven Spielberg
- Space Exploration Interactive Feature
Disc Two:
- 1982 Cut (in Dolby Digital 5.1 EX)
- A Look Back Documentary (38 Minutes)
- Original 1982 Theatrical Trailer
Disc Three:
- The Creation and Evolution of E.T. Original Documentary (50 Minutes)
- The Reunion Featurette (17 Minutes)
- The 2002 Premiere Featurette (17 Minutes)
- The Music of E.T. Featurette (10 Minutes)
- Art and Photo Gallery (18 Minutes)
- 2002 Theatrical Trailer
Disc Four:
- The 20th Anniversary Soundtrack CD
There's also the hardcover book and the senitype.
---
2 Disc Limited Collector's Edition
Disc One:
- 2002 Cut (in Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1)
- John Williams' Score from the 2002 Premiere (in Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Introduction by Steven Spielberg
- The 2002 Premiere Featurette (17 Minutes)
- Space Exploration Interactive Feature
Disc Two:
- 1982 Cut (in Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1)
- Spotlight on Location: The Making of E.T. (24 Minutes)
- The Reunion Featurette (17 Minutes)
- Art and Photo Gallery (18 Minutes)
- 2002 Theatrical Trailer
---
The three disc set is the way to go as you get a lot more extras and the nice packaging (with the nice hardcover book). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks