What's new

Is the Denon's 80w per channel 'enough'? (1 Viewer)

Judochop

Grip
Real Name
Errol
Hi fellas. I’m going to upgrade my receiver in order to take advantage of the new HD sound formats and MultEQ XT, and to make myself HDMI compatible. My question is related to power ratings.

I’ve got my eye on a Denon AVR-1713 to replace the now discontinued Yamaha RX-V1400 I am currently using. The Denon has everything I could want in terms of features, except that the power rating thing has me somewhat nervous. The Yamaha is rated at 110w per channel, and it fills the room with ease. For casual listening, I have the volume turned 'up' to -22db, and maybe as far as -10db for epic action. The Denon, on the other hand, is rated at 80w. I don't know if the Yamaha pads its numbers, and I'm not sure how to find out. I would like to know that I'll be satisfied with the power of the Denon for home theater applications.

My home theater resides in a smallish rectangular room, somewhere around 360 sq ft, with the TV along a narrow wall. I've got a 5.1 set up using Athena Point 5 bookshelves, and a Velodyne sub.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Judochop said:
Hi fellas. I’m going to upgrade my receiver in order to take advantage of the new HD sound formats and MultEQ XT, and to make myself HDMI compatible. My question is related to power ratings.

I’ve got my eye on a Denon AVR-1713 to replace the now discontinued Yamaha RX-V1400 I am currently using. The Denon has everything I could want in terms of features, except that the power rating thing has me somewhat nervous. The Yamaha is rated at 110w per channel, and it fills the room with ease. For casual listening, I have the volume turned 'up' to -22db, and maybe as far as -10db for epic action. The Denon, on the other hand, is rated at 80w. I don't know if the Yamaha pads its numbers, and I'm not sure how to find out. I would like to know that I'll be satisfied with the power of the Denon for home theater applications.

My home theater resides in a smallish rectangular room, somewhere around 360 sq ft, with the TV along a narrow wall. I've got a 5.1 set up using Athena Point 5 bookshelves, and a Velodyne sub.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
They all pad their numbers, it will be fine, buy it with confidence.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
When comparing wattage, doubling the wattage is equal to 3db change in the volume. So a -20 with 80 watts would be equal -23 with 160wpc

This assumes all other things are equal, which is rarely the case. Another example is my Pioneer Elite receiver is rated at 110 wpc. I added a Parasound 85 wpc external amp. The Parasound amp is 4 time more powerful then the receiver when it comes to sound output.

As others have said, your fine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks