What's new

Is the Dell Zino HD powerful enough? (1 Viewer)

Sykes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
I've been an avid HTPC user for a while. Right now I'm using a Dell XPS 420 as my HTPC. Originally I purchased it because it was the cheapest CableCARD solution available, and I had dual ATI tuners along with a HD HomeRun. Now, however, I have made the decision to ditch cable TV all-together, and as part of the process, I'd like to dump the huge tower that I was forced to use in favor of something smaller and more power-efficient. I'm worried, however, that even with the X2 6850e processor, performance is going to be a bit anemic. What do you guys think? Some notes:
  • I'll mainly be viewing x264 content, largely in 1080p.
  • Hulu will be a primary source of video as well.
  • I'd like to be able to play Blu-ray on it in the future; however, I won't order it with that option.
  • I'd like for it to be able to handle recording from my HDHR (both tuners simultaneously) in the future if I ever decide to pay for cable again or hook up an antenna.
  • I won't be doing any transcoding or other processor-intensive actions--just playback.
Is that asking too much? Or is the 6850e more powerful than I give it credit for? Do I gain anything at all by upgrading to the ATI Radeon HD 4330 for the video card?

Thanks!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've tried to get a review unit but so far no luck. Personally, if you are going to do this route I would not order it without BluRay FROM THE START.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.