Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I would like to know as well. I fear that Shout moving away from classic TV is starting to effect Timeless. I hope they at least are able to release Season 2 and 3 of Tombstone Territory and the long rumoured "The Rebel". I would think there are more ZIV shows they securred unless TGG got them.

2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Things have definitely slowed down ever since the Shout "takeover" of the company, but don't give up entirely on them just yet. They have a very strong record of finishing series they start and so I'd say you can bank on getting the rest of Tombstone Territory (sooner rather than later too). I'm not sure what's really up with The Rebel but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But yeah - the well is seemingly drying up quickly. All we can do is watch for further news. I know a little, but not enough to make much hay about right now.

Gary "wish things looked better - and maybe they will down the road - but right now there's not a lot to get excited about unfortunately" O.

Professor Echo and Jeff Willis like this.
  3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Thanks for the update Gary
    I haven't given up on them its just hard to accept the slow realization of whats happening in the Classic TV market.
    Mod's may be all we have left before long.
    Thats encouraging news about Tombstone Territory. Thats been a nice recent discovery for me.
    I hope they can clear up The Rebel

Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this.
  4. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I guess the releases of B&W tv shows had to stop at some point, but the last year or so was so productive that I assumed it would continue. I especially was looking forward to more ZIV releases from TGG Direct and Timeless. Still we may get an occasional release from those companies and VCI , Mill Creek etc, and some "out of the blue " releases like "Here's Edie". Also the fact that Paramount just started up some stalled shows could possibly give us hope for the remaining seasons of Sgt Bilko. But at this point it no longer looks good for shows like Tightrope, Adventures In Paradise, My Little Margie , Trackdown , Rin Tin Tin, etc. to get DVD releases .

5. maskedmala

maskedmala Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    I hope that the remaining three seasons of Sgt Bilko will be released (without a doubt, one of the best sitcom of all time) and I sure might be interested in Tightrope, Trackdown and Adventures of Paradise too. And also those 4 Warners Detective series: Bourbon Street Beat, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Did the last volume of "Steve Canyon" ever get released? I had that show on my watch list for awhile for eventual purchase but lost track of it. The last I remember reading was that delays had occured but the gentleman working on the releases was working diligently to make it happen. He seemed like a stand up guy when he posted here and came across as one of the good guys in the business especially since he was working on something that nobody else would have touched.

I agree with Maskedmala above that "Bilko" was a terrific series and more releases would be welcome. Hopefully now that CBS/P has finished some long running series more "slots" will open up and releases won't be competing with so many others coming out.

7. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Steve Canyon Volume 3 is still not out. I guess my take is different. To me, the guy keeps promising release dates, misses them, and always has an excuse. I think the first date was June 2012, and it's still not out. Of course, he's still saying it's almost ready to go the the replicator. Talk about the boy who cried wolf. Forget the extras and just put the show out, for Pete's sake. I put my money up for it, what, two years ago?

8. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I wouldn't be hard on John regarding the "Steve Canyon" situation. He's been a veritable one man operation for this show, and unlike all the labels out there he's actually making this show available from the original 35mm masters, something we'll NEVER see for all these other titles we've been seeing put out by Timeless. We shouldn't be surprised that some formidable obstacles to pull this off could come up and even though it annoys me to have that sleeve meant to accomodate all three volumes with only two inside, I'm going to keep being patient with him until I hear news that would *really* constitute a breach of trust, and so far he hasn't done that.

9. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I appreciate his work on the series and have bought the two prior volumes, but he has to stop coming up with release dates on volume three he can't meet, and then getting defensive when people become annoyed.

10. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Did you actually receive the sleeve? I read that it would be forthcoming and then...nothing.

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    FWIW, I received mine. I firmly believe John's intentions are pure as gold. It really is a matter of him trying to finish this task all on his own. And without help it doesn't take much to derail planned release dates. But I'm positive John will continue to do everything he can to get this last volume completed as soon as possible.

Gary "Mr. Ellis is one of the good guys in this business" O.

12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Yes, I received the sleeve more than a year ago. To help maintain its integrity, I've now stuck another case of another item inside it.

It'd be daunting enough for one man to do this with a title using just 16mm elements, but to have the 35mm elements and put them out is nothing short of amazing.

13. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    TGG direct has announced the November release of Bat Masterson - season 3 completing the series . B&W programming isn't totally dead yet!

14. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Warner Archives has announced Maverick Season 3 , and Sugarfoot season 2, both shows B&W and proving that there's still little bit of life left in this genre.

Ron1973 likes this.
  15. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Doctor Who will have 5 B&W stories coming out in the next several months - including two stories that had been 'lost' for the past 45 years.

16. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    Very positive news for B&W TV fans with the new and upcoming releases of Maverick (S2), Sugarfoot (S2) and Bat Masterson (S3) as Lou has mentioned.

David, I can't wait to see "Enemy Of The World" and "The Web Of Fear" which I've pre-ordered. Having watched the trailers on You Tube, the restoration looks magnificent!

Also, can't forget the Naked City complete series!

17. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    While I'm excited for fans of the WB westerns being released, it does absolutely nothing for me personally. These have all been aired on Encore Westerns in recent years and on top of that I've always found the WB westerns to be very cookie-cutter in their recycled plots and, of course, too studio bound for my liking. The Dakotas is the only WB western I'm interested in at this point.

On the other hand, the Doctor Who news is most welcome as Troughton has long been my favorite incarnation of the character (with Matt Smith coming in a close second).

What I'd really like to see is something a bit more rare. Something that hasn't had a lot of recent play on national channels like Encore. Maybe a release of The Millionaire. Or something like Our Miss Brooks, Bachelor Father, Waterfront, Ben Casey, Danger, Ellery Queen (50's), or maybe an anthology like Studio 57, Robert Montgomery Presents, Fireside Theater, etc.

Of course the biggest, and really only major "holy grail" left for me is Ozzie & Harriet. If that one can someone see the light of day, release wise, I'll be as content as I can be. But I'm not very confident right now that Sam is making the kind of progress he initially thought he'd have made by this point. We'll just have to wait and see.

Gary "looking for rarities more than anything else at this point" O.

18. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    I must say I'm totally with you there, Gary. Although, I think it's always encouraging that other not-so-rare shows continue to surface, if just to provide hope for further demand for some of the rare or lesser known shows. The fact that the Dr. Who Troughton newly found episodes became a big smash on itunes, reassures me that there is still a big demand for B&W. Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling stated in an interview recently that they loved seeing b&w shows because they felt it was more atmospheric and the lighting and shadows added to this atmosphere.

19. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The remaining unreleased B/W grail title for me remains "Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle." Ten episodes that have never made it to the PD releases, plus the lost color version of the pilot that we now know exists would make for a great release (and for bonus items, throw in Irish McCalla's appearances as Sheena on the Steve Allen and Milton Berle shows). I'll keep making do with the DVD-R transfers from the Moviecraft VHS releases (the best PD versions out there) of 16 of 26 episodes, but this is one cult show of the 50s that would deserve deluxe treatment for being a groundbreaking entry in the whole superhero on TV genre.

Burns and Allen remains the only B/W sitcom that could excite me even though I know the first two filmed seasons probably won't duplicate the Columbia VHS releases which left in the ads. For B/W cop stuff, I'd be more excited by "The Lineup" than "Dragnet" because I have repeatedly discovered that 50s "Dragnet" plays much better on radio than TV and since I have all the radio shows, that's more than enough.

With the Warner titles, they've hit all the right buttons for me in terms of what to start with, because "Maverick" is the greatest of all their westerns. So great that I have no interest in any of the other Warner Westerns, other than "The Alaskans" for the novelty of Roger Moore before becoming Beau Maverick and also the change of pace in the setting (studio sets don't bug me in the least for this era). The detective shows I might be more open to getting several titles (especially "77 Sunset Strip") but I'm in no rush to see them.

For MGM titles from Warner Archive, I expect to see eventually "Cains Hundred" and "The Eleventh Hour" and I'd definitely get those. "Mr. Novak" I might get if it were to be the kind of quality but not pretentious agenda drama I've come to enjoy in other MGM shows of this era like "Dr. Kildare" and "The Lieutenant".

And in the B/W stalled categories, I'll be restless until "Burke's Law" and "One Step Beyond" are completed. "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is thankfully back on track at last (DVD-R notwithstanding). It'd be nice to see more volumes of "You Are There" as well but I know that'll never happen. And we should also get all the filmed Jack Benny Shows from the syndicated package. Give me all of this (and okay, throw in "The Rogues" too) and I'll consider myself 100% B/W satisfied! :)

PatrickGoodluck likes this.
  20. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    For me, I am most please that WB is finally digging deeper into their westerns from the 50s/60s. Sure, my primary interst is in Maverick, but I am gonna try the first season of Sugarfoot to see how I like it. And I still need to get season 2 of Cheyenne if for no other reason that to see that first appearance of Samantha Crawford.

PatrickGoodluck likes this.