What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I'm looking forward the complete series/season set releases of The Rifleman and The Rebel. Hopefully we will hear some details soon.

Darby

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Rob_Ray said:
I'd love some season sets of "The Farmer's Daughter." That's a show that seems to have vanished.
I'd purchase that one too! I was 8 and in love with Inger Stevens enough that I passed on watching The Twilight Zone most weeks in favor or The Farmer's Daughter for those original airings. I didn't care much for the 3rd season (only one in color) because she married the Congressman. Did that one ever air in syndication anywhere? I don't ever recall it airing in my neck of the woods after those initial network broadcasts.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
BobO'Link said:
I'd purchase that one too! I was 8 and in love with Inger Stevens enough that I passed on watching The Twilight Zone most weeks in favor or The Farmer's Daughter for those original airings. I didn't care much for the 3rd season (only one in color) because she married the Congressman. Did that one ever air in syndication anywhere? I don't ever recall it airing in my neck of the woods after those initial network broadcasts.
I think it did in the late sixties, but possibly not since then. The thing I remember about that last season was that she played the character very differently. In the first season, she seemed like she stepped right out of a Swedish version of "I Remember Mama" and by that third season, any trace of a Swedish accent was gone.

Ronald Green

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald Green
The Farmer's Daughter did indeed go into syndication after its network run. I have some copies of the show when it aired on some local stations, as well as some TV guide ads promoting the show after it ended its network run. It also was ran on CBN (Christian Broadcast Network) during the mid-80s. They didn't show every episode because some episodes contained subject matter that didn't fit within their Christian views. I think there was an episode that dealt with horoscopes, and another episode that featured an unwed mother.
As far as Katy's Swedish accent disappearing, I have read some articles where Inger said it was a conscientious effort on her part to gradually remove her accent because Katy was becoming more sophisticated as the wife of a congressman and she was no longer a naive farm girl fresh off the farm-- or something like that.
Apparently, no tape masters were made for The Farmer's Daughter, and that CBN used 16mm prints when they aired the show. Those prints are reportedly in bad shape now, and the show needs to be remastered.
You can read more history about the show at The Farmer's Daughter thread here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/248116-farmers-daughter/?hl=%2Bfarmer+%2Bdaughter+%2Binger+%2Bstevens#entry2964194

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Count me in for The Rifleman if it comes out. It was airing, along with Daniel Boone, on World Harvest TV for a while. This was before I had a DVR and I was recording straight to the DVD recorder. When we went off standard time to daylight savings time, the recorder didn't update so I missed a ton of shows. :unsure: The great thing is that what I did get, ran a full 25 minutes, so they were unedited.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Darby67 said:
I'm looking forward the complete series/season set releases of The Rifleman and The Rebel. Hopefully we will hear some details soon.

Darby
Has someone announced the release of the Rebel? I know season sets for the Rifleman are in the planning stages , but I haven't heard anything about the Rebel. If it is to be released, I hope they can license the Johhny Cash theme song.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
LouA said:
Has someone announced the release of the Rebel? I know season sets for the Rifleman are in the planning stages , but I haven't heard anything about the Rebel. If it is to be released, I hope they can license the Johhny Cash theme song.
Lou:

A few HTF members with prophetic abilities (i.e. crystal balls) have hinted at it in the "Upcoming Timeless Releases" thread here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/308421-upcoming-timeless-releases/page-12

Darby

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
. I say "very few" because 74 out of 78 episodes are "out there' , being sold in the "gray market" (bootlegs). .
Its actually 72 of 78. There are 6 episodes which have remained elusive in the collectors' market.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
It depends on how someone defines "degrading," we are all way too sensitive now and it has definitely put a limit on just about everything we say and do, which becomes both a blessing and a curse. In terms of art and entertainment, I don't think people should be degraded to the point of being hurtful, but no group has a monopoly on stupidity and should be considered fair game for introspective humor. If we do away with all "degrading," what happens to characters like Lumpy on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER? Dare we insult inept, dumb, childish teenagers? Start drawing those lines and you won't even have SESAME STREET on the air anymore lest garbage collectors protest Oscar or cookie fans shout they do not want to be associated with a monster.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just watched three episodes of "Amos 'n' Andy" on YouTube. I found absolutely nothing degrading to anyone. It's true Andy mispronounces words, but so did Beaver Cleaver. It's true Kingfish has a lack of ethics and Andy a lack of brains, but so did many white characters on many sitcoms. Ralph Kramden, Ed Norton, Ted Baxter, the afore-mentioned Beaver Cleaver, the characters Bill Daily played on both "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show," most of the characters Tim Conway played in his career, several characters on "Green Acres," Jethro Bodine -- I could go on and on and on -- were all fundamentally morons, but no one said they were "degrading to the white race." If all of the characters on "Amos 'n' Andy" were perfect people, it wouldn't have been a comedy.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Both seasons of early 1960's adventure series Ripcord will be released by TGI Direct. More good news on the B And W Television front !

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It was mentioned recently that SUGARFOOT Season one is to be released by Warner Arcives. It appears that Critics Choice Video has an exclusive on this B&W show. Hopefully they will be selling pressed disc on this show.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
LouA said:
It was mentioned recently that SUGARFOOT Season one is to be released by Warner Arcives. It appears that Critics Choice Video has an exclusive on this B&W show. Hopefully they will be selling pressed disc on this show.
I got a great deal on this from importcds.com. It has already shipped and it should arrive early next week.
Here is the link:

http://www.importcds.com/movies/2582373/sugarfoot-complete-first-season

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks