What's new

Is Starman properly flagged as widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I just picked it up and want to know if the DVD is properly flagged as widescreen before opening it. I have a widescreen TV and when a non-anamorphic is improperly flagged as 4X3 it displays with black bars all around the image. Unfortunately I do not have a zoom function on the TV or DVD player. So anyone know?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The aspect ratio should be indicated on the packaging. There is no "flag" for widescreen.

According to Amazon it is 2.35:1.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I don't believe that's correct. According to Jim Taylor's Official DVD FAQ, "Video that is letterboxed before being encoded can be flagged so that the player will tell a widescreen TV to automatically expand the picture."

However, I don't know anything about the Starman disc in question. Chet, is there a particular reason to suspect that the disc is improperly flagged?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's no flag that distinguishes between full screen or widescreen, either it is one or the other. The flag that tells a widescreen display that a 16:9 image is being sent is not the same thing as what the question seemed be asking (terminology), which sounds like he is asking if it is full screen or widescreen.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My current and previous Sony TVs detect anamorphic material and adjust accordingly also. That wouldn't be a "flag" that the sets pick up would it?

So maybe that's where the issue is; it could be letterbox vs anamorphic widescreen that caused this particular issue in this case, which would make sense. Both of my sets left non-anamorphic letterbox movies alone and displayed them fullscreen.

reverendla

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol Laverne
SONY CONSPIRACY TO RIP OFF CONSUMERS IS IN PLAY. SONY GREED
Sony Conspiracy to rip off consumers is in play. Sony greed.

The wave of the future of Sony re-releasing movies in full screen only on purpose.

We consumers in the recession economy won't, CAN'T, will not buy overpriced Bluray so Sony has devised a diabolical scheme to FORCE US instead of just lowering Bluray prices.
They thought that when they beat the HD battle they woudl be rich beyond compare.

NOT !!!!

So now Sony has conspired to FORCE US TO BUY BLURAY by buying the rights and then releasing great movies we all want on DVD in WIDESCREEN ONLY IN BLURAY specially the Si Fi movies that MUST be seen in their entirety ie NOT 4:3 Pan and Scan.
They are releasing them in FULLSCREEN 4:3 GARBAGE.

Examples so far:
1. Thirteenth Floor - (call Sony to get a free replacement because the jacket says widescreen and that is an incorrect "typo" they will give you a fresh shrink wrapped version to take back to the store for defective labelling.
2. Starman - no pretense. It is only Full Screen

ARE FULLSCREEN ONLY LIKE SOME STUPID TV SHOW.

The Bluray version is Widescreen but the standard DVD is ONLY Fullscreen.
Can you believe this evil corporation?

I HATE SONY MORE THAN ANYTHING AND FOR ME I NOW WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING SONY AGAIN, NO TV, NO PLAYER, NO NOTHING.

We must revolt against them.
The back lash will teach them a lesson.

Boycott Sony products because they are a disgusting, greedy corporation who treat their customers like idiots, have the worst customer service, and who MUST force us to buy their products because we have NOT volunteered to buy more overpriced Bluray.

GREED AND EVIL RULES SONY. They care nothing for us, only ripping us off.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks