What's new

Is Sony phasing out (har!) the SA-WM40? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
The price on this sub has been dropping quite a bit lately; Sears.com has it for $150, and my local Best Buy has put it on clearance for $157. I'm in the market for an inexpensive sub, so this is nice to see.

It looks like the smaller SA-WM20 has already been replaced. (The local Best Buy has also put the SA-WM20 on clearance for $81.) CircuitCity.com was carrying it for $100, but it's been replaced with the SA-WM200, another 8" subwoofer with an entirely new look and upgraded amplifier (75w instead of 50w) at the same price.

Is there an SA-WM400 in the works?

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I noticed the same thing. I just bought the Sony WM40 about 3 weeks ago and did the polyfill mod last week and couldn't be happier...SOUNDS AMAZING for the price. Looking for an AMAZING sub for the price, don't look any further. I don't think that you can find a better sub for the price!

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Hmm, I may pick one up for the heck of it. Who knows when Sony will make another decent product in their regular consumer line! This sub belongs in a museum somewhere.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
At that price, I might have to swing by Sears on the way home and apply for their charge card, if the WM40 is in stock. $130 is great, but $117 is greater!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
First, the good news.

Apparently, none of the local Sears locations carry the WM40, but their online price was good enough for Best Buy, so I walked out of the store with a new sub for $130. Or so I thought.

Once I got it home and unpacked it, I noticed some white marks on the top of the sub. I figured they would wash off rather easily, but once I removed the speaker cover, I was horrified to see white paint all around the speaker! It looks like someone was painting above the sub and dripped paint into it. Unbelievable. There was no paint on the speaker itself, fortunately, but it's going back just the same. I'd really love to test it, but I'm afraid of what else may have been done to it before it was returned the first time. :angry:

At least the price-matching worked.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Did you know that is was used when you bought it? Or was it an open box deal? I'd let them have it for selling you a used sub. :angry:

Cagri

Second Unit
Well... SA-WM40 is very ugly indeed, but this thing can never get into my HT room even if it comes free!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, after missing out on the mighty DLS, I'm "making do" with the WM40, seeing as Sears are doing it for $129.99 right now.

What cabling will I need to hook it up to my receiver? This is my first subwoofer, so I guess I should have a poke around the Basics forum... :)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Brian, the WM40 has line- and speaker-level inputs, so you can use either a subwoofer cable or speaker wire to hook it up, depending on what output(s) your receiver offers.

Kevin, it was sold as a new sub, so they're definitely going to hear about it today.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
my local BB has it for 140 the same three 40's have been there for the last 5 months untouched, im waiting for it to drop to 100,

i got the sawm40 at frys on clearance brand new for 100 bucks hah, i want a second one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks