What's new

Is School of Rock and Orange County worth a blind purchase? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have not seen either one of these and really want to. I am trying to cut down on my blind purchases but Circuit City has a combo pack for $24.99 for both movies. Are they worth the blind purchase?

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Netflix and you will never have to blind buy again.
I am a reformed blind buyer and netflix helped me. Blockbuster did not because they are just a rip.
Orange county was amusing but I would not buy it. Rent. Have not seen School yet but it is in my que

Marc

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have tried Netflix before and for some reason did not really like it, plus at my local store, NEVER will I rent from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video,they have rent one get one free coupons that I always use. Maybe I'll just go with the rental.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I think School of Rock is strong enough for a blind purchase. I found it to be a lot of fun. I didn’t like Orange County at all, Jack Black is funny but the rest of the film wasn’t. But since you don’t know my taste in film and I don’t know your’s I guess make them rentals first.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I liked both of them. School of Rock has a bit more depth to it, but Orange County is funny, but it's a bit more irreverent and silly.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
School of Rock is a great film, and looks to be a great DVD.

I haven't seen Orange County though.

Bryan

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
School of Rock is most definately worthy of a blind buy. Orange County however is not in my opinion + it can usually be found for $9.99 now anyway in many stores, so you would only be saving a $1 anyway considering Best Buy and Circuit City both have School of Rock for $15.99 this week

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I just picked up OC for $8.95 used earlier today.

Maybe should have waited for a lower price...we'll see.

Must have been the latent buzz from the 'You're Boring' song.

As for SoR, I'll snag an ex-rental for $10 at HV when they start selling them later on.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Actually. I liked Orange County and bought it. It is a stupid kinda flick, but its so wacked I thought it funny enough to own. School of Rock is surprisingly good. Good for all ages too. With all DVD's, buy them for the lowest price you can find, watch em and sell em when you're fed up with them. Its like renting. You pay the rental in the difference between what you pay for it and what you sell it for, but you have the option of keeping it and if not, its like a really long rental without late charges. Of course there are DVD's you buy and keep indefinitely, but never think of DVD's as a waste. When considering buying something you're not 100% sure you'll want to own and view again and again, just look for it selling cheap. Pay as little as possible, buy previously viewed from video stores, buy used, buy on sale and decide later what you do with it.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I love your approach (hey, that's my approach!).

Just bought 'The One' for $7.50 used.

If I hate it, then I can recoup about 50% in trade and call it a rental.

Seems like in the recent 'NY: buy or rent' thread some people had issues with building collections (unless the titles were *great* movies).

I like a 'shelf' that's deep and varied.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
School of Rock is one of the few movies I saw last year that I went to soley because of the reviews. The subject or the genre seemed way too formula for me. But, after reading and hearing a whole bunch of positive reviews plus an excellent interview with Jack Black on NPR, I saw it opening weekend and laughed until I cried.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

When I go to Best Buy or Circuit City for my Tuesday new releases, I always check out the sale stuff and pick up movies that I have always wanted or movies that I have never seen. Usually my rule of thumb is if it is $8.99 or under, then I don't mind the blind purchase. Also, I DO NOT buy previously viewed stuff, I am very picky with my dvd's and most of those have scratches,thumb prints and all other kind of crap on them.

Anyway, I am going with a rental on both of these movies, neither one looks like a movie I would watch more than once.
Thanks for the input guys.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I can't believe y'all are raggin' on Orange County! That's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Very popular with my friends as well.

School of Rock is also good, but a different kind of humor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks