What's new

Is Pure DIRECT overrated? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure I can hear a difference with my Denon 4802 + Paradigm Monitor 7. Also, it appears that if I choose to keep the sub on (a must for me), then the Denon runs the mains FULL RANGE still. I don't like the idea of the same info coming from both the sub and the main.

Bottom line: It seems every one gushes over the pure direct mode, does any one at all feel it is a little oeverrated?

--
Holadem

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Holadem,

In my experience the benefit of a pure/true direct mode is very system dependent. Factors are the quality of the source, ability of the mains to reproduce a full range signal, the quality of the DACs in the processor, clarity of the direct mode itself, etc.

I have heard it make big differences on some systems. With my current processor (a Theta Casablanca II w/ Xtreme DAC) I don't find much difference (given the current quality of my sources) other than a loss of low-end since the subs are cut out. I have the option of Matrixing my analog pass-through however which still runs direct to the mains yet in parallel processes the signal for the subs. This is a help given my mains are not quite full-range.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on the equipment. I once had a Pioneer receiver and when you use Direct mode, it sounded really crappy. I usually turn Direct mode OFF, and turn on Loudness. That way, the sound seems decent.

I replaced my Pioneer with a Marantz 7200. The Source Direct mode of this thing is phenomenal. I always turn this on when I listen to music, and OFF when watching movies or TV. The sound is so detailed, clean, pure. Some even call it as the switch created for audiophiles. :) I don't miss my sub that much but I still wish we had an option to turn it on. (of course, we can always use the pre-out, but I rather not)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
On my 4802 I feel that pure direct makes very clean, warm and accurate playback on 2 channel analog music. I have my main speakers sent to small, so anything under 80hz goes to my sub including low end on Pure Direct. Essentially it gives you uncompromised 2.1 channel analog playback.

The 4802 will suspend all video circuits, and even it's own display on the front of the unit to give no analog interference so you get very clean analog sound. When compared to Stereo mode and even Direct mode I think Pure Direct mode sounds much, much better IMhO.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Geoff,

In Pure Direct mode your 4802 crosses over the analog signal input to send material below 80hz to the sub? Am I understanding you correctly? It doesn't simply send the entire signal straight to your mains?

This is different than my personal experience with most processors so I'm just looking for clarification. . . I can see how it'd be a nifty feature (I have to use Analog Matrix mode on my Casablanca II to get sub fill vs. it's Analog Direct mode).

Regards,

Mike

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I used Source Direct on my previous Marantz 5200 and I personally did not like it. But thats just my opinion...

John Royster

Screenwriter
for me the direct mode on the 3802 is the only way I like to listen to music. otherwise the sound gets kinda cloudy. Plus this way I can have a mode that totally gets rid of that subwoofer.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
On my 3802, I have my speakers set to small + sub with crossover set at 80hz.

In stereo mode (crossover in effect) there's a good blend of the mains and sub. When in direct mode (crossover not in effect), full range mains + sub results in too much bass and a bloated, boomy, muddy sound, even if I try turning the sub way down.... so I just turn off the subwoofer completely. So basically, I use "direct" mode for full range mains 2.0 listening. I use "stereo" for 2.1 listening with the crossover set at 80hz.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

With main speakers set to SMALL it does crossover to the sub at 80hz on all modes including pure direct (My crossover is set to Fixed THX). Setting the main speakers to large will have just a 2.0 effect, but unless your main speakers can play into the low 30hz range, or as low as 20hz then you'll be loosing those lower frequencies without a small/sub on configuration.

John Royster

Screenwriter
So the 4802 behaves a little differently than the 3802 in direct mode? On the 3802 you can set the subwoofer level to off which results in a pure analog path from source to amplifier, no bass management involved no matter what size the speakers are set to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks