What's new

Is player playing all day long abuse? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Is playing movies back to back to back all day long player abuse? I posted in another thread about a burning smell coming from my cp-72. The thing was warm to the touch, not hot by any means and no warmer than it is after playine 1 movie.

BGC

SimiA

Second Unit
As long as you don't get written up in the newspaper, make the 6 o'clock news, don't have to pay anyone off, or go to trial, it's strickly hearsay, it's not abuse.:D ;)
Vb

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Consumer players certainly aren’t built for continuous duty. It might be fine to do it occasionally, but it will probably fail prematurely if you make a habit of doing this.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Wayne said. Consumer DVD players, except for ruggedly built, top-of-the-line models from the major manufacturers, are flimsy, run hot, and get very skittish after several back-to-back movies. Doing an all-day movie marathon most definitely is not advised.

Why not do a double feature and then let the player rest for a few hours before screening anything else.

Seriously.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I try to mix some LD in there as best I can.

I sure have run mine continuously over weekends a few times now though. It is still fairly new, so I haven't noticed anything yet, but as it ages, I'll bet the above posts are 100% right on.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you're looking at doing this with any regularity, you might consider investing in a player designed for this sort of 'abuse.'

At work, we have roughly 75 Pioneer DVD-V7400 players that we put 9 hours/day, minimum, 364 days/year.

In two months, we're going to add another 20 players to the pile.

In the five years we've been using the 7400 (and its predecessor, the 7200) we've lost 6 or so players; two from a bad manufacturing lot (both died at 3-months) and had one dead-in-the-box.

Some are in areas with no air circulation. Some are in areas of high humidity.

These suckers are built to last. How many DVD players do you know that'll still be chugging along, as good as new, after 20,000 hours of run-time?

Down-side, of course. There are actually two.

1. Price. For most people, it'd be cheaper to buy 3 $150 players and rotate through them through the day. I don't remember the last price we paid, but I think it was about $700/ea. Maybe $650.

2. No progressive scan out.

Pioneer does claim to make a progressive industrial player, the DVD-V5000, but it looks like a piece of cheap consumer trash - the Walmart $50 DVD player type construction. Even the Pioneer USA sales people were blowing it off...

Can't go wrong with the 7400, though... unless you're in Europe, where its sold as the 7300.

Leo Kerr

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Silly me, that's what I thought I had. LOL You would think that a changer would be built to play quite a few back to back, especially with sequential play being one of the modes. So at least 5 back to back is part of the design. I wonder how long one of those 400 disc changers is designed to play back to back? LOL I didn't and don't consider it abuse, at least for a changer, but what do I know.

BGC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks